Remember when

Started by flo, August 17, 2008, 01:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

No hot dog or grilled cheese either, no tea, and no price on the coffee.

flo

there was probably no grill or way to cook a hamburger.  Most of the sandwiches appear to be "cold". AND did you notice you could have ice cream on that slice of pie for 10 cents.?
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Jo McDonald

The Woolworth store in Wichita in the 40's had that menu -- we always ate there and the sandwiches were wonderful and also had potato chips and a long wedge of dill pickle on the plate.

A Green River was made with lime syrup and carbonated water -- We served lots of those when I worked at Allen's Drug store in the late 40's.  A small one was 10 cents and a large was 15.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

flo

thanks, Jo, from someone "in the know".  I could remember that it was lime and had fizz, but that was about all.  :D

Judy Harder

My first job that paid better than baby sitting was at a Duckwalls and believe me they had one of the best counter  in North Topeka at that time.

No, if we wanted hambugers we could get them at a little hole in the wall and we got 10 for $1.00 and boy were they good.....and most of the time they came with mustard and ketchup and dill pickles. They were not super size but, they were made with the whole cow and nothing was added.

Now for the luncheonette at Duckwalls........mostly they had nice club sandwiches and salads and just like the ad for the Woolworth stores ice cream and the real soda pop.........and nothing tasted as good as the soda pop from the tap. nothing.

My favorite salad at that time was a Ham salad served on lettuce and it came with cottage cheese, another was cottage cheese with peach halves and lettuce and I think I must have eaten at least one time the items on their menus.

I started out on the register and stocked shelves and really earned my pennies when we did inventory at end of year..
I think my favorite place to work was the candy counter.
Remember the bulk candy that you could get and they had me learn how to roast nuts and all kinds of them.....remember the fresh smell of roasting nuts when you would walk in? (hey, I think I ate my way through this store.......now I know what happened to get me fat......no will power......LOL

I worked there about a month or more and during that time I think I gained 5 pounds..........Just walking past the bin and helping myself to a piece here and a piece there.......I finally had to ask my boss to take me off that place, cause I couldn't afford to gain anymore weight..........LOL.......just think of a kid in a candy store and no one to tell him/her they could NOT have any. Oh, made 59 cents an hour....and felt rich

I earned my keep and boss kept me till I out grew the store and went to work at hosptial......that is another story...but, I think most of us city people grew up in a Five and Dime store and I still can smell the store when I walk into certain buildings.

Good memories, gang, very good.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Lookatmeknow!!

Ok, I am not that old, but I am over 30 and getting closer to 35!!  My first job was at Mary's Drive Inn in Severy.  I worked for, ok Flo I need help here, was it Mary Signer???  She now lives right across the road from Merle Craig.  Her name has slipped my mind.  She was a wonderful lady to work for.  I was only 12 when I started working.  My grandma and her were good friends and she let me work early, that is before I was supposed to.  I loved working out there, can't remember the prices but don't even start to compare to what they are now.  The cheapest drinks and Ice Cream in town is at Batson's.  But I remember when the highway came through there, and we always had tons of Boy Scouts!!  I later worked at Toot's Drive in when I was in High School.  I remember making lots and lots of Fudge Monkey's, Banana Splits, shakes, and you name it.  I just had to put my 2 cents in!!!! :laugh:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Mom70x7

Mary Buck - she and my mom were friends.

Jo McDonald

She was Mary Miller ( Ted and Dan's sister) Signer Buck.  A wonderful lady.

When I worked for Mr. Allen I got paid $20.00 a week - after taxes I had $18.00.  Went to work at 8 and worked until 6 then on Saturday went to work at 9 and worked until midnight.  I thought $18.00 was big bucks at that time.  I was married and 17 years old, so in essence, I don't think I was very smart, was I?    lol lol lol
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Lookatmeknow!!

Quote from: Jo McDonald on August 18, 2008, 01:44:52 PM
She was Mary Miller ( Ted and Dan's sister) Signer Buck.  A wonderful lady.

When I worked for Mr. Allen I got paid $20.00 a week - after taxes I had $18.00.  Went to work at 8 and worked until 6 then on Saturday went to work at 9 and worked until midnight.  I thought $18.00 was big bucks at that time.  I was married and 17 years old, so in essence, I don't think I was very smart, was I?    lol lol lol

I didn't know that she was Ted and Dan's sister.  That is neat.  She is a very nice lady.  I loved working for her.  I can't remember how much I got paid, but I do know that it was alot for a young girl back then. 
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

flo

Pam and Kelly both worked for Mary and Gene. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk