Olympics 2008 Highlights

Started by dnalexander, August 09, 2008, 04:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

I thought we might all be interested in having a topic to talk about some of the spectacular stories bound to happen in this years Olympic in China. I don't have much to start it off but will add more as I have time to add highlights. I hope others can add great stories and highlights we should watch. I hope you all saw the opening ceremony. The drummers, the lights, fireworks, the size of the spectacle is one of the best opening ceremonies I can remember. China has always been big on pageantry and they seemed to pull out all the stops. So if you see a story, or hear about USA Olympic stories that shouldn't be missed please post them. I will try to post highlights as I can too.

David

Official Site of the 2008 Summer Olympics
http://en.beijing2008.cn/

TV Coverage
http://www.nbcolympics.com/

Results Information
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

dnalexander

If someone has a list of 2008 Olympic athletes from Kansas I would appreciate it if you would post it. I thought it would be quick and easy to find in an easy to read\post format. I have not found it yet.

David

Wilma

Did you notice the contrast of China's flag bearer and the little boy that survived the earthquake.  The flagbearer was the 7 and a half foot basketball player that plays for the Houston Rockets and the little boy was nine years old.  Quite a difference.  I couldn't help but wonder what would happen to the little boy when they reached their spot on the field, out there among all those big people.  I saw him later, in the arms of the basketball player up where he could see as well as anyone.

I certainly have a better opinion of China after watching the opening ceremony.  So many people and such synchronization.  It must have taken an immense amount of practice to be that perfect.

sixdogsmom

David, KSN TV did a short on that on Thursday, you may be able to find it on their website. Most athletes from Kansas colleges are making their Olympic appearance for another country.
Edie

dnalexander

Thanks SDM I'll check KSN TV to see what I can post. I figured there would be some baseball and track athletes from Kansas.

David

dnalexander

Kansans to watch in the Olympics.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/26457889.html

Story Updated: Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM CDT

WICHITA, KS, August 8, 2008 --The world is watching and so are Kansans as many of our own begin competing in the 2008 Olympic Games.
Multimedia

Watch The Video

There are eight Kansas on the US team, 3 are competing for other countries.

A last second dive across the finish line and Pawnee County's Christian Smith was in the Olympics.

"I knew it was possible, but to actually do it was just unbelievable," said Smith after the Olympic trials in July.

The only native Kansan on the US team Smith was a track star for Pawnee Heights High and now he takes his talents and pure desire to the world stage.

"Some people are saying we need to put a sign up as you come into Burdette and Rozel that this is the boyhood home of Christian Smith: Olympian," said Lee Musil a family friend.

Western Kansas can also claim Daniel Cormier a former wrestler for Colby Community College.

Beijing will be his second Olympics. He came very close to medaling in Athens when he placed 4th.

Wrestling on the US women's team: Randi Miller who began her wrestling career at Neosho County Community College.

Suiting up for the US on the baseball team: Terry Tiffee who played for Pratt Community College and the Liberal Bee Jay's in the NBC tournament, a team his father in law now coaches.

"The Olympics has always been very important to me anyway for what it means and not only for my country but the sport to have somebody you're related to play in it," said Galen McSpadden, Tiffee's father-in-law.

Barton County's Tyson Gay will run the 100 meters, he was the favorite for the gold in the 200 meters until was injured in the US trials.

Another Barton Country trackster: Hyleas Fountain will compete in the Heptathlon.  She made big headlines in July when she broke three of Jackie Joyner-Kersee's records at the Olympic trials.

Jayhawk assistant coach Aarik Wilson will be competing in the triple jump.

In the decathlon, watch for K-state coach Tom Pappas.  This will be his third, and at age 31 likely last chance at a medal.

"Gold would be nice, but if I'm just one of those top three spots to stand on the podium," said Pappas.

Also in the decathlon and also from K-state: Darius Draudvila, only he's on the Lithuania team.

For the Canadians, watch for Jayhawk Scott Russell throwing the javelin and KU's Nickesha Anderson will run for Jamaica in the 400 relay.

Additional Kansans
Brian Duensing\Baseball
Born: February 22, 1983
Hometown: Marysville, KS (lives now in another state)

sixdogsmom

Thanks for posting this David! Just watched Phelps in an awesome race! U S A! U S A!
Edie

dnalexander

Alright I am missing some good stuff. Video's of full opening ceremony already deleted off google. I missed the Phelps win. Have to get off computer and turn on TV to watch the coverage. More news later.

David

Diane Amberg

I saw Phelps win and watched the US vs China in basketball this morning...headed back to watch more now. Did they do something hinkey with our National Anthem last night? It didn't sound right.

dnalexander

I heard the National Anthem played when the 3 American women swept the Womens Sabre Fencing  and won the first 3 medals for the United States. The National Anthem sounded really good. I think the American girl that won the gold was only 19. The tear running down her cheek, her singing the words, the flag, the National Anthem boy I had a warm rush of feelings and pride.

David

Slight correction. The gold medal winner was 23, silver medal was 25, and the bronze medal winner was 18.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk