sirens on the fritz?

Started by indygal, August 09, 2008, 09:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowie boy

When i talked to hed rural fire cheif today , he said there was a malfunction in the siren system.
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

twirldoggy

For the sake of public safety  Howard sirens need to soulnd one way for fires., another for tornados and a third way for other emergencies.  Testing the sirens should occur at certain times when the public is notified of the testing.

flo

I wasn't aware they blowed the sirens for anything except fires and tornadoes.  They do blow them to remind the guys of the fire meeting, but that's always on Wed nite at 7:00 p.m.  If there was actually a tornado or fire, I'm sure they would get the word out to those involved.  By the way, the siren sounds are different for fires than for tornadoes. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

pepelect

They can also blow them for civil defence.  Which is just like saying for fire and tornado.  Fire goes up and down.  Tornado jest goes and goes. If you hear the tornado siren put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.

Unless you are in the old grade school building.   

Tobina+1

We were playing volleyball in the rain at the park when the sirens went off.  It was only the one across town, as the one at the park did not malfunction.  Yes, it did sound like a dying duck or something.  Danny came by and informed the pool that it was just a malfunction and nothing to worry about; that was nice of him!

As I've said before, it would be nice to have the siren "guide" printed in the paper and/or on the Cox cable station, as well as the testing times and fire meeting times.  Even just once every couple months.

pepelect

We don't have Cox here. But I am sure that Channel 2 on SKT would be happy to post the siren "guide" if you would like.  I don't know if we could put it on Wichita's cable they might get confused over there in the big city.

The fire meeting is at 7:00pm every Wednesday night.

The sirens go off at that time. 

If you hear them any other time they are real...unless the duck has died then that is different. 

indygal

First, my apologies. I heard the siren coming from the direction of the courthouse, but wasn't aware (but am now!) that it's attached to the water tower. It was doing a tornado/fire combo that went on several minutes before winding down to the last quacking gasps of duck death. At first I wondered if it might be another unrecognizable courthouse song, but then looked at the clock and realized it wasn't time to strike on the hour. I'm still waiting to hear "Beer Barrel Polka," "If I Were a Rich Man" or "Stairway to Heaven." At least I could sing along with those!

bowie boy

it not attached to the water tower,there's one by thwe pool and one on the noth side of town
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

pepelect

ok bowie girl what do you think that thing mounted to the west horizontal  next to the alley is?  It looks like a siren... It is wired in to the same system that sets off the sirens at the lift station and pool.....It has been there since before you dad was born.   

heather_tyler_2014

ok so we have fire and wat no siren's ??? hmmmm maybe the "fritz" we had the other day ??? lol
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk