Nuclear Energy

Started by Diane Amberg, August 07, 2008, 11:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: dnalexander on August 07, 2008, 10:05:46 PM
Pam I am still unsure about nuclear power safety due to the fact that much of it in the U.S is very old. France has one of the most modern and safe nuclear power systems in the world if not the most safe. I think it is definitely time to revisit this issue due to our ever increasing energy needs.

David

We have new ones online.  Their at 4th generation plants now here.  Now what people don't know about nuclear power is that ALL of the rods and nuclear material can be recycled. BUT Good ole Jimmy carter issued a executive order prohibiting that from happening.  I don't know why.  BUt to recycle the rods you have several types of plants online each of which uses the rods in each of their recycled states. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

pam

That's one of the things that shocked me, people go fishin in Wolf Creek's! Until I saw that I just automatically figured the water would be unfit for anything. Still don't think I would but :-\ ???
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

srkruzich

Quote from: pam on August 08, 2008, 07:24:28 AM
That's one of the things that shocked me, people go fishin in Wolf Creek's! Until I saw that I just automatically figured the water would be unfit for anything. Still don't think I would but :-\ ???

I lived on rivers just a mile or two below a reactor in tennessee.  The waters aren't bothered at all. 

Diane Amberg

Skr is exactly right on all of his posts. "Back in the day," supposedly it wasn't cost effective to recycle spent rods , but now I'm sure it would be. People tend to be afraid of things that might happen in a spectacular way, and often have misinformation. Yet they have no fear of the local UPS truck that could be carrying small quantities of  radio active materials every day. In the fire service we learn about all that stuff, hazmat and all the MSDS, but the general public doesn't know and perhaps they don't need to. I still know how to use a Geiger counter and dosimeter if  have to. Basically on the ambulance, if there is a potential hazmat of any kind, we use the rule of thumb. We start out up wind and far enough away that if I hold up my thumb out in front of me, my thumb hides the incident.  On the engine, that's something else. We decide what level incident it is and wear the appropriate protective suit to get in there and do the job.

pam

it would probably really shock people to know how often they are up close and personal with radiation and other hazardous materials!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

srkruzich

Quote from: pam on August 08, 2008, 03:17:12 PM
it would probably really shock people to know how often they are up close and personal with radiation and other hazardous materials!

Well if you turn on a tv, or use a microwave, or a cell phone or a computer, or ANY electrical device, including the wiring in  your home that delivers the electricity to your outlets, you have radiation.  :)

Just different levels is all. :)

Teresa

very interesting... I've learned a lot reading these posts.
thanks everyone.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

Even your common smoke detector has a tiny, tiny bit of mildly radioactive material in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk