NISSAN SOLD ON ELECTRIC CARS, NOT HYBRIDS

Started by frawin, August 08, 2008, 06:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I think all electric vehicles will be a success in the future.
Nissan sold on electric cars, not hybrids
Nissan executive says focus is on electric cars for green image; no hybrid-only model planned
August 08, 2008: 01:38 AM EST

NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Nissan won't be coming out with a model available only as a hybrid, opting instead to focus on electric vehicles for its green strategy, according to a senior executive.

Mitsuhiko Yamashita, Nissan Motor Co. Executive Vice President overseeing research and development, said Nissan will likely pack its hybrid system in a model already available as a conventional gasoline-powered car.

Hybrids, he said, will soon be so commonplace they will no longer be the conspicuous-consumption status symbols they now seem to be for owners.

His comments, earlier this week, offer a rare look into product development strategy at a major automaker. They also counter the common wisdom about the reason for the success of Toyota Motor Corp.'s gasoline-electric hybrid Prius, believed to have drawn buyers because it is a hybrid-only model.

Tokyo-based Nissan is a latecomer to hybrids compared to Japanese rival Toyota. It currently buys hybrid systems from Toyota for the Nissan Altima hybrid but is promising a vehicle packed with Nissan's own hybrid system by 2010.

"There may be no point in waving the hybrid flag at this point," Yamashita told The Associated Press, referring to both Toyota's success and the anticipated proliferation of hybrids. "Hybrids may not be all that special."

Yamashita declined to disclose the models but suggested the his company's hybrid system may be offered in the Nissan Z. Nissan will offer a mid-size hybrid with a bigger engine than the compact Prius, he said.

Nissan showed a prototype hybrid earlier this week in the luxury Infiniti G35, called the Skyline in Japan.

Besides the Prius, Toyota offers hybrid versions of its gasoline-powered models, including Lexus luxury cars and Camry.

Not all hybrid-only models have been successes.

Honda Motor Co.'s Insight, a hybrid-only model, was discontinued in 2006 due to poor sales. Honda is introducing a new hybrid-only model next year.

Nissan showed its electric car prototype in a Cube compact. But Yamashita said reducing wind resistance is critical for an electric vehicle's efficiency, hinting the model in the works will have a futuristic aerodynamic design.

Nissan faces competition in electric vehicles. U.S. automaker General Motors Corp. is planning a Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric vehicle in 2010.

Hybrids reduce pollution as well as global warming emissions by switching between a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Their popularity is growing amid soaring oil prices. Electric vehicles, which are zero-emission, are also increasingly drawing attention.

flo

sorry, if you've got the money to buy a new car, PLEASE BUY AMERICAN
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

frawin

Most Nissan, Toyota and Honda vehicles are made in America by Americans and add very little to the trade imbalance.

dnalexander

For another American option. Check out Tesla Motors. They have a fantastic all electric sports car and a month or so ago announced plans for a moderate priced vehicle that will be in the Toyota\Honda price range. This sounds like good news for Tesla Motors I have a feeling one of the big car companies will snatch them up pretty soon.

David

W. Gray

In the late forties when I was into comic books, Elvira Coot, the matriarch of the Duck family and Donald Duck's nephews, Huey, Dewy, and Louie, great-grandmother, drove an electric car.

I wondered then why electrics were no longer around.

She apparently had owned it since it was manufactured in the 1890s or 1900s.

A web site says General Electric began building electric cars in 1898.

I do not know how far those early electrics could go but it could not have been very far.

They must have been rechargeable even at that early time.

The Tesla web site says the car gets 231 EPA city; 224 EPA highway; and 227 EPA combined. That's miles per charge.

From time to time various entrepreneurs have brought out electrics and have failed each time because the technology still could not compete with gasoline.

Perhaps, this time might be different, at least if you want local transportation.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

The nice thing about the Tesla is it performance and that its range puts it in the gasoline powered vehicle range. Also they are very well financed with money from Paypal founder, Ebay, Google and many big Silicon Valley venture capital firms. Also, just goes to show you how things from comics and science fiction are way ahead of their time. Same with ethanol if I remember the first model T ran on alcohol. Mom was wrong we weren't wasting our time reading sci-fi and comic books.

David

frawin

David, Fortune Magazine had an article on Tesla Motors, their starting price is around $110,000.00 and the big thing is the range on a charge is around 220 miles. I think they are on the right track, just not their for everyday use.

Diane Amberg

I loved Grandma Duck's car when I was little. I always wanted one. I may get one yet! ;)

dnalexander

Definitely still have some work to do. The second model a sedan will be in the BMW\Audi range of $60,000 due out in 2010. The third model due in 2012 is targeted for $30,000. Their main innovations have been in their motor performance and battery storage. I think for them to be a success it will definitely take a company like Toyota or Daimler. Unsure if they can find the finances from US  Auto companies. Arnold the Governator just gave them some money and concessions to them in California. Our state economy could use a successful new addition to the economy.

David

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on August 08, 2008, 12:58:55 PM
David, Fortune Magazine had an article on Tesla Motors, their starting price is around $110,000.00 and the big thing is the range on a charge is around 220 miles. I think they are on the right track, just not their for everyday use.

Uhmm gotta say if the price tag is 110,000.00, they are no where near competing with the price of gas!  No one in their right mind is going to spend more on their vehicle than they do on their house. Shoot. I could buy my house almost 4 times over with 110k.

IF they get a vehicle llike that down to around 10 -15k, then they might stand a chance at competition.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk