Greatest yard in town!!!

Started by pepelect, August 04, 2008, 11:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Devyn; well, glad you have a little break before you get busy again!
Biscuit does actually go and bury everything before they start to stink.  I have no idea where, but at least not in the yard!  
Maybe you and I can start the country-version of the Greatest Yard contest!  Ha!  I'll vote for you and you can vote for me!

This is a really good idea, though, to help promote pride in a community, and to start to get everyone involved in cleaning up their yards!  I think that the monthly winners should be eligible for the yearly prize of something like a gift certificate to Cookson's or something like that.

David;  I'll have to talk to Chuck about the boots.  His mom owns a shoe store in Florida, so he could start a business on each side of the country!  But tack and saddles are his passion. 

Devyn-Leann

Too bad we don't have a greenhouse here. A gift certificate could be awarded from there as well. I think the awards (whatever they are) should be yard oriented.

Tobina, you have my vote! Now I just need to drive out west of Howard to see your yard.

Flintauqua

Quote from: sixdogsmom on August 05, 2008, 01:30:14 PM
The Chamber of Commerce here in Moline used to do that every month. I am not sure why they quit, I thought it was a great program even though my yard never won.  :'( :'(

I think the sign is in my carport in Moline.  David Brace stuck in my yard one day around the time he cleaned out his law office,  I kept trying to give it back to David, but somehow it would always wind up back on my porch.  I started placing it in various yards around town, with no input from anyone else on the Chamber.  And several weeks later it would be back on my porch.  So here it is two and a half years later and the sign is just leaning up against the side of my house in the carport.  If it turned up in someone else's yard . . . .  ;) ;)

(just don't take my other signs, I have plans for those)

sixdogsmom

Well there you go! The thing got kidnapped and nobody paid the ransom! Oh well!  :D
Edie

L Hendricks

Chuck - David mentioned your sign... I think he has it - we accused him of having the self-proclaimed yard of the year...

Flintauqua

Thanks Liz, it's always nice to know what is or isn't in ones carport.  By the way, is there still a 90 Olds Regency with a shot transmission in there, or has it been relocated to someone else's yard also? :'( :-\ ;D

pepelect

You have to be present to win and the olds has to be hauled off.

pepelect

Trying to get interest in cleaning up Elk County is like pushing a log chain.  Every one thinks the chain needs to be pushed but there is no one who is willing to pull it along.  The worst offenders of trashed, abandoned, neglected property are the most hard to get a finger on.  Why is pride so hard when you have property setting around is the worlds view?  If your stock is in the toilet, your land is your best asset.  If your neighbor cleans up their yard your valuation goes up?  If you paint your house you are automatically put in the next higher tax bracket? 

It must be environmental, the weed eater fumes might be carcinogenic.  Snapper exhaust kills mosquitoes.  My hummingbirds need food.  There is a noise ordinance so I can't run my lawnmower.  The goats won't eat the grass untill all the brush is scrubbed down. 

I just don't have time.

Image.                  If you display good positive aspects to the area then hopefully others will be attracted to the county. 

If you portray a bad neglected image you will get ignored. 

There are 24 hours in a day.   Turn off the TV, log off, and go mow the yard. 

I challenge anyone to mow their yard and one other before the first of October.

It is called stewardship.  Pick up some trash on your walk.   See a big boulder in the middle of the road stop and save someone from a slashed tire.   If your lawnmower is already started it takes no time to mow just one more swipe down the road ditch.  It will save in the long run.

Ideas

Quote from: pepelect on September 27, 2008, 07:13:29 PM
Trying to get interest in cleaning up Elk County is like pushing a log chain.  Every one thinks the chain needs to be pushed but there is no one who is willing to pull it along.  The worst offenders of trashed, abandoned, neglected property are the most hard to get a finger on.  Why is pride so hard when you have property setting around is the worlds view?  If your stock is in the toilet, your land is your best asset.  If your neighbor cleans up their yard your valuation goes up?  If you paint your house you are automatically put in the next higher tax bracket? 

It must be environmental, the weed eater fumes might be carcinogenic.  Snapper exhaust kills mosquitoes.  My hummingbirds need food.  There is a noise ordinance so I can't run my lawnmower.  The goats won't eat the grass untill all the brush is scrubbed down. 

I just don't have time.

Image.                  If you display good positive aspects to the area then hopefully others will be attracted to the county. 

If you portray a bad neglected image you will get ignored. 

There are 24 hours in a day.   Turn off the TV, log off, and go mow the yard. 

I challenge anyone to mow their yard and one other before the first of October.

It is called stewardship.  Pick up some trash on your walk.   See a big boulder in the middle of the road stop and save someone from a slashed tire.   If your lawnmower is already started it takes no time to mow just one more swipe down the road ditch.  It will save in the long run.

Its not too environmental, look next to the museum, and look at the big oil spot on the street from the old kerosene tractor running there during the parade, Everyone is so concerned about environment, for the livestock sake, We burn fields, thats pollution, leaf burning is some of the most toxic pollution there is. Every car in Elk county leaks oil, Why dont we oil the dirt roads to keep dust down.

how the air conditioner hot tub working out for you pepelect.

"If you portray a bad neglected image you will get ignored." I have to disagree, Cookson neglected his school, and he got alot of attention, the lions club even cleaned it up for him.

On the other hand, take a ride east on Randolph, All the neglected house on both sides ready to fall down, those are being ignored.

And how do we clean up the 4 Junk stores in town, when did that one burn down....

pepelect

It is a redneck whirlpool.  You have to add your own bubbles.  It lowers my air conditioner bill to less than the GNP of most Latin American countries.

Farmers are very efficient.  The fields don't get burned for livestock.   Fields get burned to remove residue.  Which saves on diesel and chemical that would have to be used to prepare the seed bed for the next crop.

Pastures get burned for the same reason.  Ranchers raise cattle... Cattle eat grass.....Grass has a nemisis...Weeds....Fire properly used the spring kills the weeds and promotes certain plant growth.  Cattle like the new stuff better than the weedy stuff.  They get fat and die a honorable death to be apart of your Break Today.......Ranchers did not invent range burning......God did.....It has been apart of the High Plains Prairie since the ocean dried up.

The oil market is softening.... I am sure we can get some dozer operators really cheap... What are the address of the homes in question?    Are they worth tearing down?   Can they be used for a better purpose than a parking lot?   Do you need a place to build?   If you find a need for the real estate than the structures are just an incidental cost.  If they are your neighbor it is an eyesore.  If you are the city it is part of the 30 structures that have a 80k budget next year to address.

Relatively speaking when did that other store burn down?    Why does it take so long for so few council members to act.   There is an open pit within 4 feet of a public sidewalk and there isn't even a piece of yellow tape surrounding it.  We raise holy hell about the 2 feet of water in the bottom of the school building but do nothing about a open pit with burn commercial building and contents smoldering for 6 months.    Clean it and add it to the tax burden of the property owner.   

Why do you hide behind your IDEAS?  scared to play with the big sand box with out your ananimity?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk