Howard Appreciation Society

Started by dnalexander, August 03, 2008, 03:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

I've been readin this for a few days and it interests me. I grew up in Severy instead of Howard, so did my husband. When we were kids there were two grocery stores, a hardware store, a lumber yard, drug store, newspaper, two gas stations IN town and a couple more out at the junction, a cafe IN town, Sams, Irvins, Mary and Genes drive in out at the junction, Charlies out where the Osage used to be, two feed stores, a barber shop, domino parlor, beer joint, and a few others I've probly forgot. Oh yeah, a laundry. Labor Day used to be the biggest thing there was around besides the greenwood county fair! We had ball teams, remember when they made the movie there? It started goin down and just never stopped, now it's a ghost town pretty much. We left 7 or 8 years ago for various reasons, and it makes me sad to see it now. I wouldn't trade my childhood there for anything. We are still exremely small town where we are now but it ain't "home". Unfortunately home ain't home anymore either.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Tobina+1

David;
You must have missed the thread about the woman who was thinking about moving to Elk County earlier in the summer!  Wow, there were a lot of good, positive things posted about Elk County during that time!  I think everyone was just hesitant to repeat themselves.  We do have a lot of things to be proud of in this area.  Heck, I've only lived in the area 4 years and I'm a huge proponent of the county and revitalization efforts going on!  This little place gets under your skin and really makes you love it! 
If you want to come back and visit, I would suggest doing so during a time when there's something going on (and it's COOLER!).  Maybe during the weekend of the Elk River Festival?  It sounds like the committee is really working hard to make lots of fun events and changes to this festival, and I'm looking forward to it!  I think Chuck and I will have our craft booth again this year, too.  I can't remember if this was the thread where you asked about him making boots, but he started working with leather in a boot shop.  He doesn't do boots now, but he does do a lot of tack and is starting his 3rd saddle!

frawin

Just setting here thinking about Howard when I was growing up really brings back memories. I had to write down all of the businesses I could think of and probably missed some. Two Banks, PCA Production Credit Association, FHA Loan office for Farmers, Theater, 3 Automoblie Dealers, 4 Implement Dealers, Western Auto, 3 Appliance Stores,2 Furniture stores, 4 Restaurants/Cafes, 2 Clothing Stores, shoe Repair Shop, 4 Barbers, 2 Dentists, 4 Doctors, Variety Store, Printing company, Newspaper , 4 Beauty shops, Perrin Photography Studio, 2 Lumber Yards, 1 was a combination Hardware/Lumber, 2 Feedstores, 7 Service stations, including the car dealers there were 5 mechanic car repair shops, Drugstore, 2 Bakeries, Blacksmith Shop, Veternarian, Funeral Home, Jewelery Store, 2 dry cleaners, Hotel,Motor Court/Motel, 2 pool halls, Hatchery/feedstore, 2 plumbers, 2 title/abstract offices, 2 insurance offices, 2 liquor stores, 2 Law Offices, and probably somethings I have missed. On Saturdays, Howard Main Street was packed and people were on Main Street until Midnite visiting. In the grocery store we had to wait until as late as Midnite for people to pickup their Groceries and go home. But then again there was a family on every 80 to 160 acres, and there were a lot of people employed in all of the businesses. Those were the days, the hardest thing I ever had to do was when I left Howard. I have always planned on going back but my wife's health issues are more important to me at the moment. I have thought about building some Duplexes , rental houses or even a small apartment complex, but every person in Howard I have brought it up to has said you are crazy if you do.
Frank Winn

frawin

Howard had another famous saddlemaker at one time, Harry Shepler, founder of Shepler Western Wear Stores. Harry lived closer to Piedmont on a Ranch.
Frank

sixdogsmom

I remember Sheplers when it was a small store in Wichita. I loved to go in there and just smell the leather; that store was on north Main in Wichita I think.
Edie

dnalexander

Uncle Frank I never knew that about Shepler's. My Great Aunt Virgie used to take us there before we went to Henri's and on to see Aunt Anita for clothes. I still order things from Shepler's.

David

dnalexander

Quote from: Tobina on August 05, 2008, 12:57:20 PM
David;
You must have missed the thread about the woman who was thinking about moving to Elk County earlier in the summer!  Wow, there were a lot of good, positive things posted about Elk County during that time!  I think everyone was just hesitant to repeat themselves.

I did miss it. I am going to look for it right now. Did she ever decide to move there? Hesitant to repeat themselves?? I never found that to be the case.  ;D I love the fact that everyone here has an opinion and is not hesitant to speak out.

David

frawin

David, Harry Shepler's Ranch was 2 1/2 miles West of where my wife was raised. Harry used to have a Rodeo on the 4th of July every year at the Ranch. Your Uncle Wes used to Rodeo there. After Harry left the Ranch he started his Saddle making and repair shop and travelled to horse and pony sales selling tack. I have  a handmade Harry Shepler Saddle now that was my Father-in-Laws, a great saddle to ride. Harry finally had a stroke but still tavelled selling tack for sometime after. I used to see him at sales and shows. What a great guy he was.
Frank

Jo McDonald

frank, there were two creameries in Howard also -- unless you included them in the feed stores that you mentioned.

Coming to town on Saturday night was what you lived for ALL WEEK LONG.  We lived east of Howard and also west of Howard.
  We had a wonderful childhood - growing up on a farm.
  Great memories.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

dnalexander

Just wanted to thank everyone for posting to this thread. It let's me satisfy the Kansas Boy in me even though California is definitely where I belong and is "home". I like to say that I have cowboy genes and yuppie genes. I wouldn't trade that combination for anything. I am proud to be a COWPIE!

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk