Howard Appreciation Society

Started by dnalexander, August 03, 2008, 03:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

I am hoping that my fellow forum members can help me out.  You see my knowledge of Howard is stuck in a time warp from the 60's & 70's.  I have very fond memories of all the summers and holidays that I spent there. But getting to listen to the insiders info here I get the impression of a declining rural town like many in America .  So if all of you that live there now or have visited recently  could update me; paint me a picture of Howard today.

David

sixdogsmom

I think Howard is like the rest of Elk county and the rest of rural America, the towns are suffering decline for lack of people. There is no industry other than cattle and a little farming, and Howard survives because it is the county seat. The courthouse and school are the heart of the town with a few service industrys supplying needed grocerys, medical care, restraunts etc. There seems to be a large population of older folks, and low income people because of the low cost of living. But even that may change with the cost of transportation. I don't know that it can change and become anything like the past. The area has declined even in the 15 years I have lived here. I have heard descriptions of the towns as they were in the 1950s, and it really seems impossible.
Edie

dnalexander

Thanks SDM for your comments. I also, spent time in Moline at my Aunt Charlene Winn Jacot's house. I have good memories there too. If memory serves me that is where you live.  If I can interest you all enough to help me,  let me tell you some of my memories and questions about  Howard\Elk County today.

I remember going to Moline to my Aunt Charlene Jacot's house and teasing a bull at a Vet clinic and being chased out of the pen. Also I played on a small hand driven Ferris wheel on someones property near by.

Running the trot lines on the Elk River for flatheads.  Hunting coyotes, coons, ducks and quail.

A sip of blackberry brandy in a camper at the fair ground before a horse race.

Watching my  cousin Gail Winn as rodeo queen and barrel racer.

Winn's CafĂ©, Babe(?) at the Howard theater letting me into an R movie under age, Waldo's Barber shop, Cobb's Western Wear, Sweet Lacy Feed. The pool hall.  Toot's Drive In.
Cruising in my cousin Rick's Impala down Main St in circles at night. Elk High School football.

Thanks,
David

pepelect

Jacot's house sold.  The vet clinic is owned by a Black. :laugh:  Ferris wheel was scrapped by looters in 84.  Flatheads out number the quail 1000 to one.  Coyotes and coons out number the ducks and geese.

Blackberry brandy has  been replaced by Everclear and Red Bull.  There are no horse races at Howard. 

We have a few queens but not at the rodeo.  Barrel racer is sorting mail.

Winn's cafe has Halmark greeting cards on top of it, Cobb's western wear was replaced by Allen's then shut down in the eighties.  It now houses the Soil Conservation district office.   The ASCS was dissolved into Greenwood, Montgomery, and Wilson counties.

Impala's always did pull to the right.  West Elk Football started to win some games...........

dnalexander

Pepelect thanks for the comments. You are always funny. Since I dont know you combined with the inability to judge a persons tone on the internet I never know how serious your comments are. That is just the long way around to saying  are you pulling my leg?

David

pepelect

I only speak the truth.

:angel:

dnalexander

The light from your halo is blinding me from that fact. I think your sense of humor lets you bend and manipulate the truth. I always look forward to what you have to say. Keep up the good work on the grade school issue.

David

Ole Granny

David,

The Ferris Wheel was on Frank & Mae Patteson's property.  The Elk River holds many memories for me including running trot lines with my dad and brothers.  I, also, have fond memories of Marion and Charlene.  Toot's is about all that is still in Howard that you mentioned and they do not have the Minute Buns.  You may be too young to remember them.  It is not the same but is still home.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

dnalexander

Old Granny thanks for the information. I don't know if I ever had minute buns or not. I have had loose meat, sloppy joes, and maid-rites all in the same vein. I also never remember the water tasting bad or the dirt roads being overgrown. Thank god for nostalgia it has a way of erasing the bad and letting us appreciate the good. One of the good parts about getting older.

David

Ole Granny

I remember the water tasting bad and the roads overgrown.  I use to run through the Johnson grass the same way I did the corn rows.  Also, during the hot summer days swimming in the stale water and picking the leaches off and enjoying every minute of it.  Our expectations increase as we age.  I wouldn't change a minute of my childhood memories and wish everyone could have such pleasant memories.  Sounds like you have the minute bun
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk