Purple Lilacs?

Started by S-S, November 09, 2008, 10:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S-S

A neighbor brought me quite a few baby lilacs this morning. They look like little twigs. I would like to plant them today while I'm finishing up planting my tulip bulbs, however, I don't know if this is the right time to plant them. I've always wanted lilac bushes and I'm terrified I'm going to kill these.

The Farmer's Almanac 2008 Gardening Guide says to plant berries, trees, shrubs, and vines on the 13th, 16th, and 17th of this month. Do lilacs fall under this category? And will my babies make it through the supposed upcoming hard winter? Where in the yard should I plant them? Help!!

sixdogsmom

Since they are dormant, (no leaves), it is just fine to plant them now. They won't do anything until spring, but Mother Nature will be protecting their roots like they should be. I would plant where I want the bush to grow, water them in then cover with leaves. Watch for dry times this winter and water when the temp is above freezing. Lilacs are a good choice for your yard as they last many years.  ;)
Edie

S-S

Thank you! I'm going to plant one not far from the bedroom window and near the clothesline. I just read that they are fairly easy to take care of.

Ms Bear

Do they attract bees?  If they do you my not want them to close to a bedroom window.

I haven't been able to grow lilacs here in Texas but remember the beautiful ones that a neighbor had when I lived in Oregon many years ago.  Hers were all on the north side of the house, I remember they were always very pretty when they bloomed.

sixdogsmom

My mom had them planted all along the length of their driveway. Heavenly scent in May, and yes there are some bees as there are around any flowers. She had a sweet current bush outside their bedroom window, now that is some heady perfume when it blooms; really spicy!
Edie

srkruzich

Just plant them in a 50/50 mix of potting soil and natural soil.  Then what i would do is to take some cow manure, not fresh but kinda dried and put some hay around the plant and then a small amount of manure around it over the hay. Just not up against the tree.

That will keep it nourished and offer some protection from a bad freeze.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

Current bushes smell devine, but then lilacs are also a favorite of mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk