Howard Old Bank Building - What would you like done with it.....

Started by L Hendricks, July 29, 2008, 07:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

The Benson museum is really nice.  I do think it is time some young ones get with the program.  The last time I was there the only ones working all day so people like myself could enjoy it were in their upper 80's and 90's.  Good Lord give them a break!

lola330

As far as a place to eat, there are several choices in Elk county.  Why not provide another service that does not currently exist?

Let's not try to compete with existing businesses or services, that could possibly cause the loss of those businesses in Elk County.  How would taking away business or putting  restaurant out of business be good for Elk County?

Here's another idea for the bank building:   Why not make a banquet hall where people could have wedding receptions, reunions, funeral dinners, anniversary parties, prom dinners etc.  Also, why not include a ball room for dances and musical entertainment.

pepelect

If you want I could expand the hours of the Soda Fountain to provide you a place to internet cafe.   I would only need someone to run it and .....that would be all.... Need Sunday groceries?   How about we all think about why we shop on Sunday.   We don't work on that day.  
Mainstreet of Howard is a ghost town  every Sunday after the last church dinner.   If we could cater to the out of towners to bring them here, the weekends would be the days they would be available.  Even I got burnt out of working 7 days a week after about 10 years of it.  You would have to manage your labor and hours of service to match your patrons.  
I know I was raised on a ranch where there is always something to do but the majority of the human race is lazy on the nonwork days.   Let's build something they will enjoy and suck them into our world on their days off.
High stress jobs mean high pay check... They could come here to relax and spend some of their hard earned money.  I don't think that grass fed beef is the way to go.   We send cattle to the feedlot for a reason.   Corn makes beef better.   But I would love to somehow market Elk County Beef.  I would like to know how to process it after it has left the county to be fed. Besides bringing it back in a Tyson box.   I don't think we have enough grain sources for feeding here.  

Wouldn't be great to serve a homegrown top sirloin with all the fixin's in a hometown palace fit for a king in a building built by locals, powered by the Elk county Kansas wind, and view a Howard,Kansas sunset?  

I think I just had a moment...

L Hendricks

no - the new owners are not the Blacks... the Blacks sold it to Historic Howard Building LLC... don't worry they have "lots of hats and lots of cattle".  I don't know if they want themselves known yet... kinda like some of us don't want our identy known... I personally don't want to see any of the local businesses hurt... we have awesome food places in the county... but keep generating the ideas... there have been some real good ones so far... Marcia Moore just gave a presentation tonight on the Howard in the early 1900s - we really had some awesome buildings back then... too bad more of them are not still around... seems like fire got a lot of them.  Oh and Howard used to have a flower parade - any one want to revisit that... or maybe the street fair...

pepelect

:o Someone wants to build in Howard?   Do they need any Ideas?  I know a guy.  Need a property owner swayed?  Have a problem with zoning....Local community Improvement committee nominates who ever it is as chairperson with huge Title and no salary.

Revert back to the 1906: Can we bulldoze the current First National Bank building and rebuild the hotel?   It was three stories and was the envy of the entire area.   We could build Dan a new shop with a lift and parking.   

If the east side of the street gets a new building the west side needs to be thinking of something amazing I guess....

Do you have to have over 50 beds to cater to the bus line tourists?     Could we stack bunk beds in the rooms and call it the bunk house? 

Should we give lots of money to the Flinthills  Assembly of God church to get the new building on its way so we can serve the fire water?  Fire water is not just for firemen anymore.   Firewater makes money more fluid.  Come here's need fluid so their funding doesn't dry up.   

What about an RV park and ride....Park your RV and we will give you a trailride of Elk County. 

Have you ever seen limestone arch bridge?  Ariesian well?  and  a 200 megawatt wind farm on the same trail?

Cave Springs any memories?

There is a nice spot for the stable one block north on the west side of the street.  Hanna barn could have a whole new lease on life. 

W. Gray

L Hendricks

Quoteno - the new owners are not the Blacks... the Blacks sold it to Historic Howard Building LLC...

Who controls the Historic Howard Building LLC?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

L Hendricks

W. Gray - I am not going to be the one to tell who owns the Historic Howard Building LLC... I am the messenger asking for ideas from the community of what the community would like.... when the new owners want to reveal their identity... then they can do it... please let's focus on what would be a positive addition to the community....

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Maude

It seems to me you all have great ideals. I have one problem. You already have a museum so why put one in the Bank? Also I agree  that you would not want to hurt Tooties or Poplur Pizza in anyway. So I would look for things that would draw interest for more the 6 months, the new wears off and traffic stops so goes your revenue.
As every one in the this day and age has some kind of a computer, a wireless internet with a coffee/sandwich shop would be great.
What kind of time frame are we looking at? 6 month a year or two? I think the town needs help now not in the future. sooner would be better.
Maude

lola330

I have a pretty good guess as to who was in town on Tuesday that has "lots of hats and lots of cattle". I saw them just after the power went out.   However, it would do no good to speculate "out loud" in this forum.

I think a gym with lots of treadmills, weight machines, and tanning beds would be a good idea. Put in a couple of nice locker rooms with showers.  It could have a nice "juice bar" that served healthy smoothies.  How about an indoor swimming pool in the basement as well.  Aerobics, physical therapy, jazzercise, personal trainers, dietician advice.

I would love to go to a local gym.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk