Longton Free Fair

Started by pepelect, July 28, 2008, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Hendricks

Some of the board members of Longton - Lawrence Jontra, Velra & Jack Hoyt, Bill & Carol Barnaby, Elmer Cook, Richard Cook -A little history - the Barnabys were one of the founders of this fair and the Jontra, Hoyts and Barnabys are all direct descents from these founders... a lot of history there and family pride...

The Ext board is also made up of some of these families - mainly to keep the tradition alive. 

I believe I mentioned earlier that when the Longton Fair bldg burned, I mentioned combining... I probably won't do that again - but at that time, it was to combine at Howard since Howard had the building. 

I don't know if Christy Tyler, Ernie Small, Don Perkins, Carl Morgan are on the Howard Fair... it rotates more than the Longton one does. 

Right now, not sure the EK group has enough clout yet.  Don't really know if it is a county comm subject or not.  Since the ext. district was formed, the county does have a budget authority over them.  We still do fund the fair though.

I don't know if it would be possible to have a meeting with the Howard Fair, Longton Fair and Elk Co Rodeo assn... there are some strong families ties on the Elk Co Rodeo Assn too. 

Lookatmeknow!!

That is so hard when you have strong family ties that bing the boards.  Not sure if any of them would consider combining.  I think around here, each community feels that they are there own.  They do there own thing and change just isn't a possibility to them.  I for one don't mind change, but know that the people that you mentioned, and each board work really hard to make each and every fair enjoyable.  I do have to say that this year at the 4-H fair I did see more of each different 4-H club working together.  Not that they haven't in the past, but I know that if it wasn't for the help of Anthony Beitz, Charlie Ellis, and Cale Ellis Parker wouldn't have gotten her sheep to look so nice.  ( I helped but didn't really know that much about what I was doing.  1st time for her to take sheep, and things have changed since I was in 4-H.)  I really enjoyed the fair in Longton this year.  The people are all really nice and really like to help out.  Not that Howard isn't the same, but didn't do much at the Howard Fair, to busy.

I have to say, I think that alot more of the 4-H things might be combined with Chautaqua County next year and the years to come.  Not for sure, but I know that the Flinthill Booster has around 26 to 30 members and that is double of the two other clubs in the county.

As for a 4-H parents view, I don't think we will ever combine the fairs.  I don't mind if we did.  But, I did drive about 200 miles last week back and forth to Longton.  I put alot of money in the van!!  That is what you have to think about when you think about combining.  If you have it in Longton, the Howard people have to drive back and forth, such does the Longton people if you have it in Howard.  Poor Grenola people, they have to drive no matter where you have it.  We have members that are from Severy, so it is that much further for them if the fair is in Longton.  It's a no win situation if you ask me  :(  !!!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

pepelect

You would drive farther that that to go to a movie.  You would drive farther than that to buy clothes.  You would drive farther than that to look at a used car.  You would drive farther than that to go to the hospital.  You would drive farther than that to find a water park.  You would drive farther than that to stop at a stoplight.

lola330

I agree with pepelect,  almost everyone leaves Moline, Severy, Howard etc  to spend money on all manner of shopping, dining, and entertainment on a daily or weekly basis.

I would love one big fair that ran about 5 days with rides, cotton candy, big 4h barn, corn dogs on a stick, fried dough, vendors etc.  I have traveled to Coffeyville and Sedan just to go to a "larger" local fair, and we go to the State fair every other year or so.

On one hand we cry about wanting things to stay the same.  On the other hand we moan about how to get more people to move here or even just show up with some cash to spend in our towns. 

On another post there have been facts posted that show the steady and alarming decline in population in Elk Co.  I have only one thing left to say, and this applies to the whole grade school situation as well.

United we stand, divided we fall.  It's time to unite. 

<----------------stepping of the soap box now   :)

Diane Amberg

Yea! Clap, clap, clap, clap! Getter done before it's too late. You all can't lose too much more population before you are all too small to do anything. Don't compete...complete. Get together and save your best for the future.

Mom70x7

QuoteDon't compete...complete.

I like that - should be a mega-slogan for something!

Don't compete . . . complete.

Diane Amberg

Use it with my blessings. ;) :-*

srkruzich

You know if you want people to show up and spend money the answer is hold a festival.

Heres a festival from the town of dahlonega Ga where i moved here from.  They only have 2500 residents.  :)

The Grand Daddy of Georgia's Mountain Festivals!

Gold Rush Days are held the third weekend in October (the 18th and 19tH for 2008), when thousands come to see fall colors peaking and celebrate Dahlonega's 1828 discovery of gold. Over 300 art and craft exhibitors gather around the Public Square and Historic District in support of this annual event, and it is estimated that a crowd of over 200,000 visit over the weekend to join in the fun and excitement!

Gold Rush Days has been voted one of the Top 20 Events in the southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society.

Included in the two day event are a parade, children's activities, a fashion show, gold panning contest, wheelbarrow race, King and Queen Coronation, hog calling, buck dancing contest, gospel singing and other live entertainment, wrist wrestling, and last but not least – some delicious food!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Dale Smith

Hey Steve, I didn't know that you moved there from Georgia.   I love going to Dahlongega.

Maybe what the town of Howard should do is something like Helen, GA did.  Helen was in a rapid decline and decided to come up with a theme or gimmick to draw tourists.  Being up in the North Georgia Mountains, they created an Alpine Village.  And, as you know Steve, the tourists flock to Helen.   I was thinking that maybe Howard should do something like that... maybe turn it into an old western style town, or ghost town type of thing.  Cover the fronts of buildings so that they appear to be out of the wild west, etc. 

You know the old song.. "You gotta have a gimmick"

srkruzich

Quote from: Dale Smith on August 09, 2008, 04:20:49 PM
Hey Steve, I didn't know that you moved there from Georgia.   I love going to Dahlongega.

Maybe what the town of Howard should do is something like Helen, GA did.  Helen was in a rapid decline and decided to come up with a theme or gimmick to draw tourists.  Being up in the North Georgia Mountains, they created an Alpine Village.  And, as you know Steve, the tourists flock to Helen.   I was thinking that maybe Howard should do something like that... maybe turn it into an old western style town, or ghost town type of thing.  Cover the fronts of buildings so that they appear to be out of the wild west, etc. 

You know the old song.. "You gotta have a gimmick"

:) yeah i am from dahlonega :D my sons graduated from dahlonega high school.  I am always teasing my friend Sarah when she says theres mountains around here.  :P  I say nnnoooooo those aren't mountains, their mole hills :D

Yeah helen was in a grand spiral downwards to obscurity til they decided to turn it into a barvarian village and hold octoberfest every year.  Now days it is packed with people at anytime of the year.  Lots of money flows into that town bigtime and most of the businesses there are restaurants and bars. :)

Western town maybe will work. Not sure.  Hmmmm 
Dahlonega's gold rush is set up to attract people who go around the country to sell things.  They pack up after its done and go to the next event.  IF you promoted a theme like lets say a land rush or cattle drive or something like that.  Don't know what would attract people these days.  But take main street and rent out spaces for vendors to setup.

I know that dahlonega originally set up for local artisans and businesses and when it grew they muscled out the locals with high fees on the space rentals.   SHoot they even charge 10 dollars now to park at the event and the jaycees rack up on that bigtime. 200,000 people and a estimated 50,000 vehicles that get parked.  Not a bad take on parking.

hmm could turn the old bank everyone is talking about to a western bank and have a bank robbery and show.  Get a old stagecoach and offer transports from parking at the fairground to mainstreet, and charge 5 bucks to park including a ride to town.

:D
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk