Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, July 23, 2008, 04:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

Frank, I am glad to know about the Innes Cafe.  We left Howard in 1954 and moved to Yates Center and from there in 1956 to Welch, Ok. and then back to Kansas in 1957 to Pittsburg, then returned to Howard in May 1963. So I did not know that a cafe was in that building.  You know the old saying ??? "A bad penny always returns"  lol  and that is true in this case, I guess.

I just love hearing things of long ago and  the Now Things too.

Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

I was in that cafe one time.

But I thought it would have been before 1954.

My grandmother Gray took me in there one afternoon and bought me a slice of lemon pie.

I recall we set at a counter with stool seating and the man behind the counter wore a white "soda jerk" hat.

I thought it was cool.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

You may be right, Waldo, but  Fred and I were married in May 1947 and moved to Howard in September.1947.  I worked for Earl Allen in the drug store, but I don't remember an Innes'  cafe there.  There was a liquor store on the west side of the alley, behind the office building that John Black now owns.  Brooks Bryan had the Ford dealership on the corner that is now the 1st Nat'l Bank. 
  Help --- someone jump in here, this has got my interest piqued.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Jo, Innes was there in 1946, I used to walk by it walking to my brother's store when I started to school. I don't know what year it went out. I remember  Bud Innes, he always called me little Winn boy.

frawin

The building that John Black is in was Hottinger's Drugstore and later the PCA Office. The Liquor store was owned by Merritt Dennett. I am not sure who had it before Merritt. Pop and Sue Allen put one in out just South of Toots in the late 40s or early 50s.
Frank

frawin

I think that after Innes closed, Dallas Roberts put a Shoe Repair store in that building, then after Dallas moved to the Old  Pete Hubbell and Lee Shell Appliance store just South of the now Howard State Bank, Junior Perkins put a self serve laundry in the Odd Fellows building where Dallas had been.
Frank

W. Gray

Jo,

I would have guessed late forties because I was a small guy.

It was usually my aunts and uncles that took me anywhere for a treat and they did lots of times, mainly on my mother's side.

On this one day, my Grandmother Gray told me we were going somewhere but she would not tell me the destination. Apparently, everyone else was out somewhere.

She took me out their back door and down the long stairs where they lived above McKees Dime Store. Then we turned right down the alley and walked to the "fire department" and turned left going to the end of the building.

It was a treat that she took me for a treat and that was the only time that ever happened.

By 1954, I would have been too old and too ornery for her to even consider buying me something.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

The stone and masonry on that building appears to be in very good shape to this day.

The doors and windows do not look that good but the building appears to be holding up well.

The material appears to be the same or similar as the 1887 Howard National Bank.

The stonework on that building looks like a good size ocean wave on the south side.

Someone sells speciality soap out of that building now.

patyrn

Sue Bauder now has her Red Barn Soap Store there.  George Sharp had the Abstract Office in that location before Pauline Miller took it over, followed by Sue. 

Marcia Moore

Removed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk