Moline Round House

Started by LisaT, June 26, 2008, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flintauqua

OK, you've definitely piqued my interest again in railroads in and around Elk County.  Would the following list happen to be the one you think moved:

http://www.franklincountykansas.net/indexes/railroad/town%20names%20in%20incorporated%20railroad%20names.html

It contains some intersting ones, like:

Kansas City, Elk Falls and El Paso Railroad Company

Coffeyville, Independence, Elk Falls and Northwestern Railroad Co

Fall River, Howard and Western Railroad Company

Fredonia, Howard and Southwestern Railroad Company

Fort Smith, Howard and Northwestern Railroad Company

W. Gray

That was it. I book marked it.

It has the incorporation dates.

The Kansas City, Lawrence, and Southern RR ran east to west across Elk County. Several lines operated until Santa Fe became the owner.

Another local RR was the Chicago, Kansas, & Western running via Fredonia that came through Upola to Longton.

I came across a map that had an RR line from Howard to Western Park.

It seems that some map companies printed maps of proposed but not yet built RRs.

It was probably meant to be the Fall River, Howard, and Western or the Fredonia, Howard, and Southwestern.

I have never been able to find that map again
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Another item,

Grenola also had a turntable. A turntable usually goes with a round house.

But, apparently, Grenola did not have a round house or an engine house.

A rail map is in The Official State Atlas of Kansas, printed in 1887.

The turntable was a couple blocks east from the grain elevator.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Flintauqua

Another of those phantom railroads shows up on the Butler Co. map in the 1887 Atlas, the Fort Smith, Eldorado and Northwestern.  Map shows it as proposed coming straight east out of Latham to the Elk County Line, headed straight at the Green Ranch Hill (aka Mt.Jesus).

Flintauqua

I found a map with a railroad from Howard to Western Park, along with alot of other phantoms:

http://specialcollections.wichita.edu/collections/maps/detailsframes.asp?var=1880-0003

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk