Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, July 23, 2008, 04:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

patyrn

Marcia,

I THINK, but am not certain, that Mr. Bartlett's name was George and his wife was Molly.  It just sounds right to me, but maybe someone else can remember more definitely.

KRI

frawin

Marcia, I can shed some light on No. 5, George and Molly Bartlett operated the Jewelry Store. Prior to putting in the jewelry store the building had a grocery in it. My dad had a grocery store their from around 1930 to late 1940 and then he sold it to Bartletts. Bartletts operated the grocery store their until sometime in the mid-40s and then they put in the Jewelry store.
I will look back in my old elk county clippings and see if I can find more.
Frank

Marcia Moore

Removed.

frawin

Marcia, on item No 4, the first I remember that Building, it had Innes Cafe in it, Bud Innes ran it. I don't go back that far but as I seem to recall it was always the ODD Fellows Buliding.
Frank

frawin

Marcia, the Bartlett Store was where Waldo's Barber shop was and that is now being integrated into Batson's Drugstore.

Jo McDonald

Marcia, the Oddfellow Lodge and the Rebecca Lodge was on the top floor - and there was a coin operated laundry on the ground level as well as the Tarwater Law office, and Pauline Miller had the Elk County Abstract office there also.  I can't remember what was in the west end by the alley before it was used by the Firemen to store the truck in.  I'm not much help - but I do remember those occupants.
  Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Marcia Moore

Removed.

frawin

On the West end was the city fire truck and the city jail cells. Where the laundry was that Jo mentioned was Innes Cafe before the laundry.

W. Gray

Howard National Bank building was finished in 1887.

From 1877 to 1886 the bank was known as the Elk County Bank.

In 1886, the bank became the Elk County State Bank.

The name was changed to Howard National Bank by the time the building opened.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk