Howard Fair

Started by pepelect, July 18, 2008, 10:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Good ideas folks! Keep it up, you are really on to something. I especially like the tower repelling and bird bodies. You could have a volunteer fire fighters muster too. Bucket brigades, hose events, such as teams rolling barrels around, ladder events, etc.  You all just need to reinvent yourselves.

Wilma

And to settle the issue as to where it would be held, take it to the rodeo grounds at the north junction of 99 and 160.  New buildings would have to be erected, but the rodeo arena is already there.  A county fair does not have to be held at the county seat.  The Sedgwick County Fair is at Cheney.  The Kansas State Fair is at Hutchinson, not Topeka.

I think we have too many Howardites, Longtonians, Elk Fallsettes, Molineites and Grenolians and not enough Elk Countians.

greatguns

Midway! Midway! Midway!  Something for the young and old alike.  Can remember when no one missed either fair.

indygal

I would vote in favor of one county fair and still encourage each of the towns to have its own festival. And I like the idea of having it outside Moline simply because it's more centrally located and easier to get into and out of and you don't have to drive through town.  One fair means resources of people, money and work are pooled and efforts aren't duplicated. With one fair, perhaps there could be a midway with a few rides and games for the kids. It should include both 4-H and open class judging. And how about  demonstrations, tractor pulls, contests (hay baling, fair queen and king, cutest baby, ugliest dog, maybe a talent show?)  And I know this is a crazy thought, but charge a small admission to park and enter the fairgrounds. Maybe $1 or $2 to park and admission of $2 per adult and $1 per child. Those funds could be used for maintenance of buildings and grounds. Charge a small admission to concerts and shows so we can bring in some musical or comedy talent. What about a barn dance or square dance? None of these are original ideas, to be sure, but it's more likely to be a fair the way it used to be. Traditions such as county fairs shouldn't be allowed to die because of divisions between towns. The rate things are going now, with fewer people attending and participating, it will happen. Let's keep this slice of Americana alive for our children and grandchildren!

(wipes brow and steps down from soapbox)

indygal

(Takes a deep breath and steps back on the box)

PEP, you're onto something that should be explored and encouraged. Hubby and I have discussed for some time the possibility of Elk County hosting an "out of the box" type festival. Maybe not something as extreme as a Burning Man (I'm not sure if Elk County is ready for anything quite like that), but something that stands out and becomes an annual destination. If people will drive for miles to see decorated outhouses or farm equipment shows (such as the one mentioned in another thread), they might just come for something different here, too. Terrell and I especially like the idea of kinetic bicycle races and and a sailboat regatta. Polk Daniels Lake is a well kept secret and something that the area could use to its advantage. So.........

What if... along with a wind theme, we add fire and water? Host it during the spring burning (which I know is already being done in Greenwood or Chase county, not sure exactly... but there's no reason we can't do it here, too). We've got plenty of places for RV parking (another good suggestion by PEP...smart fellow!) Have one part of the fest feature wind activities....don't forget there's a local RC plane club...hot air balloons would be awesome.....

Another area of festival would be sailboats and and lawn concerts (bluegrass? jazz? Just no opera, please!) at PD Lake, and campers there as well.....it's a beautiful location and can be so much more than a fishing hole or place to spend a few hours on the 4th.

It would take mucho work and organization to get this off the ground and see if it floats (puns intentional!) But we could start small and see if it picks up speed.

And yes, we're willing to help ...

Diane Amberg

YES, YES, YES...GO, GO, GO! Such good ideas! The Cecil County Fair, just up the road in Maryland is on now. It's a medium sized fair with a nice midway and some shows. I just looked up their ad to see what the prices were and what is happening when.
Adults $5.00, Seniors $2.00, Kids 6-12, $2.00, Kids under 6 free

Fri. evening. Sneak preview, tickets discounted. Sat. Old Time Farm Weekend    Sunday Rodeo    Monday  Daycare Day
    Tues. Ag Day   Wed. 4-H Appreciation Day    Thurs. Seniors Day     Friday, Livestock auction  Sat. Demolition Derby Day

All the fire police in the area, ours included, direct traffic and help with parking cars. It's always well attended.

dnalexander

I am an avid fair, community concert, festival, home town day, air show, frog jumping, chili cook off, car show, BBQ challenge fool.  I have very fond memories of the Elk County Fair in Howard From the late 60's to the mid 70s. I remember a very vibrant fair from those days.  I know I am far away from Howard but I would like to help if possible. My Howard exists in a time warp from 30+ years ago. I love event planning and have produced and worked on more than 100 events over the last 25 years or so. I have done tournaments\events for health clubs of 800 to 3000 members.  I have been 2nd or 3 rd in charge of Racquetball tournaments that have been on ESPN. I worked on a Gold Rush days for Valdez, AK (population 3400) which is about the size of Elk County. Unfortunately I have no current knowledge other than what I get from the forum on Elk County. I am not asking to be paid, it would give me a chance to exercise a muscle that I don't get to use anymore and help people for whom I feel a connection. Now I will ask some questions:

What was the best part of the fair this year.
Why did you not go to the fair this year.
What was the attendance of the fair.
Who were the sponsors.

I was looking for information on the fair and other than this forum and a small blurb in the archive of Rudy's paper I found no mention or web presence. Nothing on the ElK County Government site.

What I can say now with little information:
You need to cast a bigger net. The two counties in California that have fairs combine two or three counties.Though the smallest county(1500 people) in California has a huge nationally known festival called the Bear Valley Music Festival.If I am butting in I apologize this is just an area of interest that I have experience in and would enjoy helping my forum friends. Sorry for the long post. If I can help let me know.

David

p.s. If what the forum did on discussing the school issues is any indication I think the forum is just the place to solve the fair problem.  Also, let me say that as someone who has no kids in any  school, doesn't live in Kansas, but knows the importance of education to the future of the world- I was riveted to your school issues just as if I was living in Howard. You all should be very proud how you handled it.

Wilma

Thanks for the resume.  You will certainly be kept in mind, even maybe on the short list.

dnalexander

Thank you Wilma I would love to help my Elk County friends revive their county fair. I have so many fond memories of the Howard Fair. My last project  increased the fair population from about 130,000 people to 142,000. Proof of what can be done. Just to brag a bit I would bet that the livestock and 4-H we had here in the big city of the San Francisco Bay Area is bigger compared to any in Kansas. You all think we are city boys, but we love our rural roots. I bet there are more Kansans in California than in Kansas. Hope you all solve your problem about the fair.

Just wanted to help.
David

Sarah

I like the idea of the fair being out on the highway or somewhere sort of in the middle of all the towns.  That would end the decision of what town to put it in.

I also like the idea of a barn dance.  That would be really cool!

Also, my husband mentioned in Valley Center something they do that was a big hit is to show old movies outside by projection onto a sheet.  The kids and families brought their own blankets and flopped wherever and watched an old movie.  Something else for families to do that might draw them. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk