Howard Fair

Started by pepelect, July 18, 2008, 10:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Patrick, you have an idea there.  If you keep pushing, I think it would work.  I notice that the Christian rodeo that is held down here each spring has a good turn out and that is camping out.  From the sounds coming from it, the kids are having a good time.

D Whetstone

PEP - I think the reason you were recruited to the concession stand was for the entertainment value. Because there wasn't much anywhere else. As a "come here", it is pretty baffling how and why two fairs exist.  I understand there is a history here.  But that just shows that there is too much looking over our shoulders and not enough looking to the future.  Honestly, if this was a family with these type of "wounds", we would be in counseling.  I would be interested to know (Mr Gray - can you help me out here?) what the population of Elk County was back in 1945.  I am sure the population is less now. Probably much less. We continue to try and do the same w/ less people and less money.  We are being divided and conquered.  By whom? Ourselves.

The fair and rodeo wasn't a distinated for many people or cowboys. I was really disappointed with the rodeo itself. Not much action.  I think it might have been better Saturday as their were to be more bull riders. Don't know about other cowboys.

I agree w/ no fair on alternate years. Until there is one centrally located fair that all people energy and resources can be poured into, Howard should only conduct their fair on years when 4-H is involved.

D Whetstone

Previous post - destinated = destination.   

Catwoman

Patrick, are you on the Economic Development Council for Elk County?  If not, you need to be.  You're one the few that I've heard come up with viable ideas. 

W. Gray

If you split the loss in half from 1940 to 1950, Elk County Population in 1945 would be around 7,430.

Population of Elk County in 1940 was 8,180.

In 1950, 6,679.

A loss of 1,501 over the ten year period.

2000 - 3,261

2005 - 3,075

If one goes back to the late 1860s and early 1870s, people were falling all over each other to get into this area.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Below is for the first fair in this area held at Longton the first year and Howard City the second year.

The single number is the number of prizes that could be won in that class.

The dollar amount is the total dollar value awarded in that class

Howard County Fair, 1872, 1873,

Class 1--Draft Stallions    1   $  2.00
Class 2--Roadsters          2   $  6.00
Class 3--Mares                  6   $ 11.00
Class 4--Matches         3          $  8.00
Class 5--Saddle Horses        2         $  3.00
Class 6--Draft Horses         1          $  2.00
Class 7--Jacks And Mules    2   $  4.00
Class 8--Short Horned Cattle    9   $ 22.00
Class 9--Graded Cattle             10   $ 18.00
Class 10--Oxen And Fat Cattle    4   $  9.00
Class 11--Fine Wool Sheep    7   $ 16.00
Class 12--Swine                       13    $ 23.00
Class 13--Poultry               6   $  2.25
Class 14--Farm Products          5   $  4.50
Class 15--Table Comforts    5   $  5.50
Class 16--Fruits And Preserves    1   $  2.00
Class 17--Jellies And Pickles       2   $  3.00
Class 18--Vegetables           13   $  7.00
Class 19--Floral                  1   $  1.00
Class 20--Fine Arts          11   $ 10.75
Class 21--Machinery And Farming Implements   18   Diploma
Class 22--Domestic Industry    9   $  3.50
Class 23--Vehicles                5   Diploma
Class 24--Vehicles, Continued    6   $ 10.00
Class 25--Boots, Shoes, And Leather    4   $  4.00
Class 26--Stores And Tin Ware             3   $  2.00
Class 27--Domestic Manufacture          12   $  9.50
Class 28--Minerals                          1   ?
Class 29--Thoroughbred Horses         7   $ 19.00
Class 30--Racing                         14   $118.00
Class 31--Riding                          2   $ 15.00
Class 32--Plowing                         1   $  3.00
Class 33--Miscellaneous                      7   $ 10.50

Source: Longton Weekly Ledger, September 23, 1873
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

pepelect

I f Lionton was first then lets let them have it back...

I am going to build a wind based event west of town.  I am using the Park City model and based on the fairs past I can have no doubt about its future.

Kite flying.   Biplane fly overs.  Vintage air show.   First ever wind tower rodeo.  Biplane pole bending will be the draw.  Eight seconds...HA HA   how about 8gs....

Hot air balloons.  Helium ballons for the kids..  Tower repelling.    Tower bungee jumping.  Count the endangered bird carcasses for door prizes.  Beetle bustin. 

We have to have a full bar.  One thing that last nights concession stand taught me, Molly hatchette's long lost warrior, the patrons buy more hambugers when the fire water is a flowin'.  The entertainment will or course be Earth, Wind, and Fire or a tribute band.    Are they still alive?

I will be installing wireless and cell towers because everyone under thirty can even wipe their *&% without having a phone stuck to the side of their head, blue toothless, or texting 90 to nothing.

It will of course still be walk-in hunting ground.  No DUI but Teresa will have some target practice off the wind towers.

pepelect

W. Gray

Longton was probably selected first in 1872 because it was the largest town in the county at the time.

There were no fairgrounds.

Apparently, there was a decision to rotate it among towns.

In 1873, why they chose Howard City over Elk Falls or Peru, the county seat, would be a good question. There was nothing in Howard City at the time, not even a newspaper. By the time of the fair, the Howard City newspaper, the weekly "sickly" had moved to Boston.

When the fair was held in Howard City in 1873, interest dropped dramatically.

In 1874, and the years afterward there was no fair because of that interest drop and also because for a a few months in early 1874, for all practical purposes, the county did not exist.

flo

sounds to me like Elk County needs to get unified.  What other counties have TWO fairs?  Elk County Fair should be ELK COUNTY FAIR, with no town name attached, and not alternated between towns.  That way the Elk county fair grounds are the responsibility of ALL Elk county, not just Howard people.  I think a lot of the work in Greenwood County is done by 4-H'ers throughout the county.  Used to be, anyhow.  There is an Elk County Fair Committee with officers.  Is this just for the fair in Howard or the County?  If it's for the entire county, then seems to me they could make a new rule - ONE FAIR FOR THE ENTIRE COUNTY.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk