Elgin Connection

Started by W. Gray, July 16, 2008, 08:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvaughn

Marcia, Thanks for your note.  I just temporarily joined the forum to provide this info to you.

W. Gray

From the August 2, 1872, Longton Weekly Ledger.

"ELGIN.—This beautiful little town is situated on Big Caney where it enters the Indian territory. It is surrounded by a rich and beautiful country filled with intelligent people. Elgin is a thriving town and what makes the place the more worthy of notice just now it is being pushed by its friends for county seat. This is a good idea, we favor the plan; Elgin is so easy of access from all parts of the country and is located so near the centre of the county that no one can possibly object to the town owing to its geographical position. Another reason why Elgin would make a proper county seat is the fact that it is the home of our worthy County Attorney, and as every rooster acts more bravely when taken upon his own dung hill, doubtless he would be enabled to hurl his anathemas against the wrong-doers of the county with greater force than ever. Hurrah for Elgin."

A few towns in Howard County were aiming to unseat the remote Peru as the county seat in September 1872. The editor is being sarcastic in that Elgin was further way from most county settlers than Peru was. One reason for the backhand against the $1,000 a year Col Sam Donelson, the county attorney, was that he very seldom came to the county seat, letting his hired assistant work out the county's legal problems.

Elgin would never run for the county seat and Peru was not unseated in the 1872 election.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

tawnyca1

Hi,
I'm a grandaughter of Joseph Revelette,  I am interested in the family history.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

tawnyca1

Quote from: Marcia Moore on July 16, 2008, 09:16:59 AM
    South of Elgin a couple or more miles is a V in the road where you can go south, down towards the Revelette Ranch or you can go east, towards Boulanger.  That hill at the T is called Tinker Hill.  
    Wonder if Sylvester Tinker, the Chief of the Osages 25-30 years ago, was related to Clarence Tinker.  Chief Tinker and his wife, Alice, were real good friends of my grandad and my parents.  They lived in Pawhuska.

tawnyca1

A wonderful source for Osage History is available on the "Osage Nation" website.

Elginite

read you topic and found them interestring.  Question?  Does anyone know the history of Artillery Mound, just north of Boulanger, Ok.

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Removed.

evanstrail

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/ok_indian_territory_1884.jpg

Blow the map up and look closely just SE of Elgin - It reads "Proposed New Post 1867"

It also shows a point about 30 west of Caldwell with the same discription.

tawnyca1

I followed your instructions on the map.  Can you elaborate any more on the topic? 

Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk