Book Club

Started by Tobina+1, July 15, 2008, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

That was never established in the book...what was the author tried to prove was that the pyramids pre-date what is currently accepted as being the timeline for their origination.  Actually, he did some really good investigations...the appendix is GINORMOUS.  Another good book of his is "The Sign and the Seal", which traces the hunt for the Holy Grail...which I guess is actually spelled "gral", which doesn't stand for the traditionally thought cup...it actually stands for a vessel...such as a human.  His book came out long before the hooplah surrounding the idea that Mary Magdalene (sp?) might have been the wife of Jesus.  His book traces the fact that there might very well have been an offspring, which was taken to France.  It actually was a better book than "Fingerprints" and had an interesting note in the preface...I guess the first research assistant quit three years into the book and handed Hancock a thirteen (or was it fifteen?)-page letter of resignation.  Uhm...wouldn't you have thought that letter would have come two years earlier and been about 13-14 pages less?  Man, talk about being PO'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pam

I got ya Tobina, yoga is just somthin I took up years ago cause it helped with my flexibility, de-stressin was just a plus! lol. A really good book is A Woman Of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford, it's about a woman who starts life as a servant in the local squires house and ends up bein the head of a multinational corporation! I've read it several times just cause I like it lol
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

DanCookson

Tobina,

I had a book given to me when I was a manager at a large construction company in Wichita.  It was given to me by a customer at the end of a very long, very large construction project.  He was an older gentleman, previous CEO of a company, sat on many boards, including I believe Via Christi in Wichita.....Anyway, when the job was over we sat down and he told me he wanted to present me with something!!! (I got real excited cause I thought it was going to be a massive bonus for getting in under time and budget and all the stressing I did constantly)  No Money  :'(.  He gave me a book and told me if I didn't learn to manage my stress, that I better start saving money fast because I would have to retire at 35 or die from a heart attack at 40!!  Then he laughed and sent me on my way.

Long story short, book is called: Don't sweat the small stuff, It's all small stuff!

Really good at putting work, family, and self in perspective.  I have it if you would like to borrow it and give it a read.  Just shoot me a message and I can bring it uptown to work since I seem to be chained to the desk daily!!

W. Gray

Frank and Rudy,

Actually, Thomas Jefferson led a rather Spartan life, female wise.

The first three women he proposed to turned him down.

When he finally married at age 30, he married a widow but she died ten years later and he never remarried.

His attempts after that were usually with married women. Except for the time he spent in France, those tries were not very successful either.

One of his efforts while vice president made "headlines" and he had to issue an apology.

If it had not been for Sally Hemings, the man might have been a total wreck.

There were supposedly six children born from this "clandestine" arrangement but not all lived.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, was Sally the Slave girl? I forgot her name, that was worse than Bill Clinton, I have never heard that Bill left any Children behind, I think his cigars were sterile.

Catwoman

W. Gray

Sally was his slave girl, one of some 120 or 130 slaves he owned.

Jefferson never directly acknowledged any association with her but one of his peer slave owners documented 3,700 trysts with slaves over his lifetime.

She was not set free when he died but one of her children was. Even though she was not legally free, no one associated with the estate complained when she set out to live with that child and died there several years later.

If someone should claim Bill Clinton as Daddy, he would probably wag his finger and deny it.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, if one showed up for Bill it would probably be named Roi Tan
I need to get off of here today I am getting behind in my work. I will check back later.

Tobina+1

Dan; I've heard good things about that book, but haven't taken the chance to read it yet.  I will take you up on that offer!  I'll PM you when I'm ready for it!  Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk