WHO HAS GERONIMO'S SKULL?

Started by Teresa, March 05, 2005, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

He is the fellow who made the famous speech to his people" "I will fight no more forever."

Guess who captured him? Our own General Oliver Otis Howard of Howard, Kansas, fame.

Chief Joseph was in Elk County once.

After he and his people were trying to escape from the northwest in Oregon, I think, and trying to get to Canada. General Howard caught them about fifty miles from the Canadian border. After their capture, they were sent from Montana to Fort Leavenworth for a while and then marched south down through Elk County to Indian Territory.

One of the Howard newspapers reported the event.

I know the Army eventually let him go back to the northwest but I do not know about the bulk of his people.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

I forgot to add that Chief Joseph was Nez Perce.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

You are right, my error. Nez Perce is correct. I did not know that he had been in Elk County though. Small world indeed, and the part about General Howard, Don would have liked knowing that.
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk