Main Menu

USA

Started by Teresa, June 27, 2006, 01:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

I am sorry.............. but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough.  >:(

No where did they sing it in Italian, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German or any other language because of immigration.

It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation - not even close.

Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY -

I certainly am not against immigration - but just come through legally like everyone else.

Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules of the United States of America AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past ---

Wll we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it...... ???

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Mom70x7

Oh dear,  :-\ a little bit of history here:

The National Anthem has long been sung in Spanish.

The LA Times said: Although President Bush argues that the anthem should only be sung in English, performing it in a foreign language isn't novel. Wikipedia links to reports that German and Latin translations appeared in the 1860s, followed by a Yiddish version. The U.S. Bureau of Education printed it in Spanish in 1919. In those more idyllic days, immigrants demonstrated their love for their new home by joyfully singing the anthem in their native tongue. You can find it in Spanish on the current State Department website.

That website, from our lovely government, is: http://usinfo.state.gov/esp/home/topics/us_society_values/national_symbols/anthem_spanish.html.

As far as the rest of the post  ;):

I am very much in favor of LEGAL immigration.  :) That's how my great-grandparents came. There's nothing wrong with LEGAL; I think it gives a sense of accomplishment. One of the reasons the USA is such a desired place to live is, I believe, because of the fair laws we have. Those laws allow for LEGAL access to our country.  :)

Mom70x7

I decided to do some 'net research. This article talks about several different versions of the national anthem. When I followed the Samoan link, they talk about including the National Anthem in their constitution.  :)

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/02/star_spanglish_banne.html

Teresa

I am for LEGAL immigration too...
I married a man from Europe...Kjell is here legallyl.. he did it the right way.. and
Speaks the language..( in fact speaks 4 languages.. English now being the first... and goes by our rules. And he does it gladly and with pride..

In fact, in my humble opinion, what ever country you are in, you should abide by their rules... and also speak their language. or at least be able to communicate enough to get by.
Speaking your native language and practicing your customs is great within your group or family.. but no way is should the American society be required to accommodate every other culture. If people  don't want to live as Americans.. then they need to stay in their own country.

Teresa

One more thing...

I don't know about all legal immigrants.. but Kjell pays not only income tax and taxes in the United States.. ( and abides by our rules) but he also pays Norwegian taxes and  income taxes too. ( and still abides by their rules)

Their tax % make ours look not so bad..
and I think our tax system and % is AWFUL! :'(

So he get double whammied...
Ouch
:(

MarineMom

He should not have to pay have to pay tax in both countries only in his country of residence,  As long as I do not recieve an income from my homeland I only pay taxes in the USA. But if I do recieve income from home then that income is taxed both here and there.

Teresa

Ahhhhhhhh... that is WHY he still pays income taxes there...
He does recieve an income. ;)
He does work for the Norwegian Police Dept. :police:

admin

Quote from: Teresa on June 29, 2006, 06:44:28 AM
Ahhhhhhhh... that is WHY he still pays income taxes there...

Are you guys talking about me? Huh?  ;)

And by also paying income tax (28% + + ) to my old country, I still get to keep my health insurance benefits and retirement plans. So, if someone wants to pistolwhip me over the head in a back alley here in the states, I don't have to beg the US insurance industry for help or be a burden to a US social security system that is ...... nah, I better get back to work. If not, I'll end up writing a loooong post about that part.

MarineMom

He should get some credit on his US taxes for the tax he pays to Norway but I am not sure how that works I was given this link sometime back but "Government speak"  makes no sense to me :P

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/index.html

Janet Harrington

Well, let me tell you something, Marshal, aka Kjell H., we certainly don't want you to be a burden to us.  No sir we do not.  We want to be able to keep our money for all those illegal immigrants that are here and sucking us dry.  Just keep that in mind, would ya?    Ha ha ha ha  :angel:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk