Popcorn anyone?

Started by Teresa, July 09, 2008, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

This has absolutely no informational value to it at all.. but I was just wondering..
How many of you like the "old Maids" in popcorn?

I order all my popcorn directly from the Amish.. and I just got a new supply of popcorn.
I bought 8... 2# bags of all different variety's.. And their baby hulless white is wonderful . The flavor is tender and crisp and I always put more than my popper will hold ( so that there are some old maids) and they were tender and yummy.
Had popcorn last night and Kjell didn't eat all of his dishpan full (  ;) ) so I took it and put it in a ziplock and just awhile ago.. stuck it in the microwave for 40 seconds and finished it off for a snack.
Yummmmmmm  the old maids were the best.

http://www.amishcountrypopcorn.com/
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

"informational" isn't always important.  How about "memories"  ::) ::) As a kid, I loved the old maids. Course back then we had them simply because all the corn didn't pop. Then at age 22 I got these new store bought teeth.  I still like the old maids, but they don't :-\
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

You mean your "grinnin' teeth"?

I'm lucky that I have all of mine and never had a cavity.
The only thing a dentist has ever had to do to me is clean my teeth a couple times a year.
( Probably because everything that comes out of my mouth is just puuure sweetness)
Of course...  I would imagine that if you had naughty things come out your mouth..
then all your teeth would fall out.. and ................well... ::)..................
you'de have to have............grinnin' teeth!

flo

Yeah, something like this.  Need to tell you, tho, that "sweetness" is what causes your teeth to fall out.  ;D ;D ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Joanna

Well, she's got you there, Teresa! :o

I LOVE popcorn and make me a pan of it 2 or 4 times a week, more often in winter.  I love the old maids too, they're my favorite!  I didn't know you could get more of them by putting extra kernels in the pan, why didn't anyone ever tell me that?  I thought it was just the luck of the draw!

I love to make it in my "Atom" popper made in Quincy, KS.  I had some friends over that had never seen popcorn made in a pan instead of the microwave...  I'll eat the microwave stuff once in a while, but I like mine with salt only, no butter, so it's hard to find that kind; and it tastes better fresh off the stove anyhow. ;D  I think I'll have popcorn for supper, along with some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from our garden.  This is the life!

Roma Jean Turner

Okay, I guess I'm going to have to get up and pop a bag for myself.  Once it's on your mind, it won't go away.

Teresa

I have one of those whirly poppers that you use on the stove. I also pop mine in bacon grease. man.. the flavor it brings to pop corn is awesome. My daddy always used bacon grease and an old pan with a lid and he would shake it all the while it was popping. I used to use my club aluminum pan but then I got my whirly popper.
Joanna..  I ad about an 1/8 of a cup more corn and I put my corn in before my grease gets real hot too.. so all the corn set there and sizzles a while before it pops. .. That seems to let all the kernels get real hot and kind fluff/pop and the old maids are kind perfect.
Don't salt it until it is done and in your bowl. salting before it is popped makes the corn tough.
( my gosh ..that was a mouth full of gibberish)

Joanna

Thanks for the tips!  I never salt till it's in the bowl, but that's just habit.  I do put my corn in before the oil is hot, but don't always remember to put the lid on  ???  Ha! 

As a kid we made popcorn in a big light weight aluminum sauce pan with a lid and had to shake it all the time after it started popping to keep it from burning.  I don't have to do anything with the Atom popper except pull it off the fire when it stops popping.  I love that thing!

I have to know though, you have said you use bacon grease for several different things.  How do you get it? Do you just save the grease from when you cook bacon?  I'd have to have BLT's every day to get enough grease to keep me in popcorn.  Ha!  If that's the sacrifice I have to make, I guess I could try it!

heather_tyler_2014

o my goodness i've never heard of someone else talk about quincy,ks  that is one the best town's ever !!! (only because that is were everyone is (of my family)anyways i remember my brother billy always saying him and grandpa made popcorn and put way to much in there(those homemade one's from QUINCY,KS) went to watch tv............(or so i figure)...............and plum forgot about it..............popcorn everywhere on the floor,on top of dishwasher(it was right beside the stove) and they smelt it so they went in an got the big bowl and well ate it all now that sounds good for now !!!!!!!!!!!
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

sixdogsmom

I like to make popcorn in a cast iron skillet with some of the drippings from hot sausage. Yum!
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk