Democrats Propose Tax.....

Started by Warph, July 06, 2008, 12:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Democrats on Capitol Hill today introduced a bill that would tax those who have benefited most from the "take a penny, leave a penny" system at the popular convenience store chain 7-11.

"There are citizens living among us that have reaped huge benefits from this system," said Democratic Senator  Barack Obama.  "Those who have profited from the "take a penny, leave a penny" system should pay to take care of those who are too poor leave a penny," he added.

Because of the frequency in which convenience stores are held up at gunpoint, and therefore need cameras, Senator Obama hopes there is enough footage to chronicle who has taken a penny the most times while hardly ever leaving a penny.

"We've tested the system in California and its working wonders," Senator Obama said.  "We tracked a 58-year-old man who frequents a San Francisco 7-11 and he took a penny 278 times in 2005, while leaving a penny only 28 times.  Multiply that by the 30-years he has been shopping at 7-11 and then multiply that by California's 33 million residents and we're talking about over 2.5 billion dollars in the state of California alone!"

Senator Obama wants the taxes paid on that $2.5 billion.

"The man we studied was fairly wealthy," the Senator said.  "And it's a well known fact that rich people usually pinch pennies more than the poor and middle class.  Because taxing the rich is noble, it is even more imperative that we begin recouping our losses."

Conservative critics of the measure question whether or not the price of accumulating the tax bill would actually cost taxpayers more than it would take in.

"I can't even imagine how we would go about doing that without pouring billions and billions of dollars into the project," Republican Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson said.  "I have a feeling he (Senator Obama) is doing this to garner publicity for himself and the Democrats.  He's showing the common folk that Democrats care about Average Joe's and want rich people to bear the lion's share of the tax burden."

"Absolutely untrue," Senator Obama responded.  "I am not doing this for any other reason than to make sure the rich don't keep taking from society without giving anything back to take care of the downtrodden while they snobbishly suck on an icy cold half-Coke, half-Cherry Slurpee.  A vote for this bill is a vote for me for President."
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

I really had to think about this since we don't have sales tax in Delaware, don't see the penny dish much here.

sixdogsmom

Edie

pam

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Teresa

;D ;D ;D

(good sense of humor Pam.). and I know that Warph is grinning from ear to ear when he see's that little guy fishing too)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk