END OF THE FORUM WAR

Started by flo, July 05, 2008, 09:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

The Elk County Flame War of Aught Eight made me think of things that my mom used to say:

"Just because you can say it doesn't mean you should."
"Don't be so thin skinned"
"This is not a democracy this is a benevolent dictatorship, stop arguing "
"Go tell your brother you're sorry, hug and make up"
"If he said the sky is blue you would say it's red"
"Mind your manners, I taught you better than that"

On a serious note  I hope all hurt feelings mend and I look forward to hearing what all of us have to say.

David

Wilma

Our leader has spoken.  Now all take notice or she will sic her mama and me on you.  Right, Jo.  And since we are almost the oldest bodies on this forum, we have been through more than I hope you all will ever have to go through.  

Just be thankful for what you have because there was a time that very few had it.  

Be thankful for being able to communicate instantly with each other because it used to be that the only communication was what came with the mailman once a day or if a neighbor came calling.

Be thankful that we know what is going on overseas, whether we like it or not, because it used to be that the weekly newsreel at the theater was the only live action we saw and that was usually weeks old.  The daily newspaper carried only what they received when they received it.  The radio entertained us with a 15 minute newscast a few times a day.  And the first world war was even worse.

Be thankful that we have a chance to get to know about our candidates, because it used to be that all we knew was what was carried by word of mouth, much was forgotten, much was changed.  

Be thankful that we can vote and that our votes are counted.  At least here in Kansas they are.  It hasn't been that long since women were given the right to vote and the word given should read earned.  

My world is so much different from what it was during my growing up years.  Seventy-eight years ago, I would have had to be living with one of my children instead of in my own home with my own income.  It isn't going to make any difference in my lifestyle who becomes president this time and probably not in my lifetime.  What is said or not said on this forum isn't going to make a difference in the quality of government we get so why get so upset over it.  We need to look to our Kansas legislators.  That is where we can make a difference.  I think I am preaching again.  Forgive me.  I will shut up now.

dnalexander

It's sad to see people feel that we as individuals have no control or ability to effect what happens in our world. I have had the same feeling at times. The fact that so few people vote is a good indication that many people feel this way. I hope it is not true. When I feel that way I think about what one of my bosses used to say "Keep the faith, the war is long and hard, but we can't give up"

David

Catwoman

Brava, Teresa!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warph

Hey, wait a minute, David.... those are things my Mom used to say.  You left out her favorite:

"Don't even think about it."   :laugh:

And WOW, Pam... great Pic!  Now that's "Chillin" in style!
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk