Hi! My family is really interested in moving to Howard, Moline, or Severy, KS

Started by Samantha, June 30, 2008, 07:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

The last I knew, the Severy Coop was looking for a manager for the station.

flo

MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Mom70x7

The house at 243 W Washington is catty-corner across the street from us. I've not been in the house - but I know the neighborhood is terrific!  :D   :D   :D

Folks - That's Wanda Young's house. Has anyone been inside?

Seriously - the neighborhood is good. Washington is a major street, so it's always cleared. The mayor lives across the street north from the house and the sheriff lives just east of the mayor. It's only 2 blocks from downtown - but most of Howard is only 2 or 3 blocks from downtown!  :D

With the age of your kids - Moline would also be a logical place to look for housing. You'd be in the same town as their school. At least for a year anyhow.

If you do come to visit - whether it's this weekend or another time - let us (the forum) know and we'll get together and answer questions.

We moved here nearly 20 years ago because we wanted a big enough house for all our kids with a low enough price we could afford to our kids.   ::)     Haven't regretted it for a minute. (Sometimes the town wondered about my kids, but that's another story.  ;)   :D   :)   :D  ) Actually, we were welcomed with open arms.

I've lived in towns from 150 up to Chicago - with a stint or two in the country. Everywhere has its benefits.  Howard (Elk County) is an excellent place to raise kids. We might not have a WalMart and a hospital around the corner, but we have our stores, our medical people, and the neighbors that share and the neighbors that care and the freedom to show our love for each other.

Teresa

I';ve been in the house. I looked at it before I bought this one.
it is old.. ( but lots of the Howard houses are old.  mine is 103 yrs old)   and set up the way old houses were back them . The wallpaper upstairs in the rooms will literally BLOW YOUR EYES OUT!
And I mean that literally. I had to step into the room.. close my eyes.. put my hands up on both sides of my eyes (like horse blinders).. square myself up to one side other wall..and then open my eyes and look at that side of the room.. then I would shut my eyes and do it again  until I saw all 4 sides. it made me sooo dizzy and if you looked at it and them looked away ..you could see the stripes and squares ( like a flash had gone off ) hahaha

In my opinion.. it needs a LOT of work. The rooms are small and cut up ..the stairway is very narrow and weird to get up stairs.  the back room porch is very much in need of repair.
If you had the money to go in and take out the living room and dining room wall and make one room..
change all the wallpaper in the house and repair and redo.. it might be ok.
but then again.. everyone's tastes are different ..and someone might like it just as it is.

The kitchen has a little table nook that is neat and has lots of cabinets..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Samantha

Yeah I saw the pictures of the wallpaper on the realtor website!  Makes you wonder what the owner was thinking, they even wallpapered the ceiling!

Does anyone know what kind of shape the house on Pennsylvania is in?
Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.  *James F Byrnes

heather_tyler_2014

ummmm... i think i do (sorta) my good friends step-dad lived thier and they shaped it up pretty well they were living in it for about a month then they moved so i'd say it isn't to bad of condition and i can ask my brother billy how it is looking he worked with jason that lived thier and was over thier all the time...agian i say(sorta)

yah i do amuse my myself....hehehehe now i must venture off next door to go water for Lloyd yipppeeee seee ya'll later at about 11'

Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

Mom70x7

Okay - so I went to the listing for 243 Washington - WOW! That's definitely some wallpaper upstairs! ! !

It looked like there were pocket doors upstairs? I love them. We've got them downstairs, from the living room to the office and from the living room to the dining room.

Samantha

One thing I forgot to ask about was childcare.  I'm assuming there probably isn't a daycare in Howard...  Is there a YMCA or anything like that close?  I would only need child care in the summer (probably starting next summer2009).  What does everyone do with their kids?
Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.  *James F Byrnes

flo

WOW are you in luck.  Okay, Angie, your turn. (She runs a daycare).  That would be angtown3 on this forum.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Lookatmeknow!!

I have owned and operated my daycare for going on 4 years now.  I have a licensed daycare facility.  I also have a BS in Elementary Education.  I am pretty full most of the time, especially summer with school being out.  But it also depends.  I have some information if you do come to town to visit and check things out.  Also, a friend of mine has a daycare in her home.  I helped her get her's started, too.  Mine is in another facility, not my house.

As for YMCA, there is one in Eldorado.  There are things to do in Independence, but to tell you the truth I don't do any of them with my kids, just to much going on.  But I do know about the YMCA in Eldorado, my sister lives close to it and they have lots of activities for the kids there. 

Come and check out the town.  I love living here.  I have been and lived in other towns around Kansas, I was born and raised in Severy.  But nothing beats the small town!!  Especially these days raising kids!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk