Hi! My family is really interested in moving to Howard, Moline, or Severy, KS

Started by Samantha, June 30, 2008, 07:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samantha

My kids are 5 and 8 (kindergarten and 3rd grade).

I won't need to worry about a job for myself, as my company will allow me to work out of my home.  But my husband on the other hand will need to find work quickly :) 
He can do just about anything from sheet metal work, to oil field equipment, to water treatment plant repairs, to farming, to duct work in buildings.  He's a good ole country boy that can figure just about anything out :)

I really appreciate all of ya'lls help!  We were thinking about driving up there this weekend or next just to look around (its about 6 hours from here)  Where is the nearest hotel?
Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.  *James F Byrnes

Tobina+1

There are quite a few houses for sale in Howard that might not be listed in the traditional newspapers, but probably on the websites of the realty companies listed below.  I imagine that if you consider buying rather than renting, you'll find that the cost of a house is much less than you expect.  Many people have been purchasing homes in the county and fixing them up for much less than it costs in urban areas.  I know that Liz Hendricks has a beautiful house for sale on one of the main streets in town, Washington.  I've been meaning to get a tour from her, as it looks so cute and quaint on the outside (but don't let those words fool you; it looks to be a large house!).
Also, like in many rural areas; word of mouth is the best way to find what you need.  There are people who own houses that don't really advertise them for rent, but would be willing to rent to upstanding families.
As for jobs, like I just said, word of mouth is your best bet.  It sounds like your husband has many good skills for this area and shouldn't have a hard time finding a job at all!

Hotels; no actual hotels in town (too small), but a good selection of rental rooms and a few bed-and-breakfasts.  At least 1 in Moline (Swinging Bridge Cafe and Lodge), and at least 1 in Howard (Cattlebaron Inn).  I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

Samantha

243 W Washington?

There is a house on realtor.com with that address, its a 3 bed 2 bath for 39,500.  My husband and I saw that and assumed that it must need a lot of work since there was only 1 picture (that wasn't close up) and the price was so low.

The listing didn't say anything about a basement, are they common in Kansas?

I also saw the house that was mentioned earlier on realtor.com, the one on Pennsylvania.  It's 29,000, so again we assumed it needed major work.  We also thought maybe it had been on the market a while since the picture shows snow in front of the house...

Are these common prices for homes in Howard?  Its hard to find a 3 bed 2 bath house over 1200 sq ft for less than 70,000 where we are!
Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.  *James F Byrnes

Devyn-Leann

Houses are very cheap in this area. You can buy a house cheaper than a brand new pickup!!

The house on Pennsylvania is very cute but it still needs a lot of remodeling.

sixdogsmom

Moline is 11 miles from Howard; there are a few homes for sale here but not as many as in Howard. The housing market is inexpensive here compared to other areas of the country. However there are drawbacks; the first being the distance to services. We have the basic needs, but one must travel some also. Good luck to you and your family.
Edie

flo

Quote from: Devyn-Leann on June 30, 2008, 11:20:09 AM
But, Flo, there is a new bar in Severy that Ervin's have opened in the old convenience store/cafe. 

yes, I knew about Ervins opening a bar, but it is strictly a bar I understand.  I was thinking about the one downtown that also served good food.  I had thought later about the Library that I didn't mention but forgot about the Medical Clinic and also the Museum.  You know, Howard just has quite a bit going for it when you sit down and think about it.  Isn't this forum just the grandest thing and so very helpful?
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Dustin

wow i had to come here to see if this was my wife who posted this (it wasn't :) ). We have been looking off an on for a couple years and more seriously the past couple weeks but we are looking more for land with or without a house although the house on Pennsylvania looks like it could be great for city living (I like the large lot and character of the home).

Lookatmeknow!!

I do know of a couple that are purchasing houses to make into rentals.  We have a rental house, but right now it is rented.  It depends on the size of house you need.  The school system here is great.  You do need to read the thread on school changes.  The problem with small schools is the number of students right now are getting lower and the state money depends on the number of students that you have in your school.  Since our numbers are so low, we are not getting the state money that we need to keep a float.  But we have great teachers that care about the childrent that they teach.  Just let us know what size of house you would need and maybe we could find you something, evening in the renting!!  Keep us informed on your decision!!!  We would be glad to welcome a new family to our wonderful town!!! :angel: :angel:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Samantha

Our house would have to be at least 3 bedrooms, hopefully with a den or extra room that could be used as an office.

tessa&lyle

Hi Samantha,
My name is Tessa and my boyfriend owns his home in Howard which we just put up for sale about two weeks ago...it is a two story older home that does need a little bit of work...It has two bedrooms downstairs and one upstairs and a small room that could be made into an office...We are not going through a real estate to sell...my boyfriend and I both work in Chanute Kansas and I own my home there...we are going to sell both homes eventually and have one...we have a big yard...I know he is wanting to sell it asap and not asking much...we also own the property to the south of us...which has a good size shop on it....if you are interested in looking or asking about it...his name is Lyle Riggs and his number is 620-583-3845 (cell)....any questions feel free to email us at tessalogan@att.net....Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk