Main Menu

ANWR

Started by pam, July 01, 2008, 07:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

Everybody keeps sayin the ANWR is the answer so I went lookin for statistics..........the fact of the matter is it would be effective for a SHORT time in A FEW YEARS, it MAY not harm the environment, estimates range from a 95% recoverable oil to 5% recoverable, and before anybody starts hollerin I've been listening to those liberal devils again, I went to the US GEOLOGICAL site for information. I found sites on both sides of the spectrum. And as I understand it the 10.4 billion barrels is TECHNICALLY recoverable oil which means they may or may not be able to get it and if they do it's gonna be a *****. So my conclusion is yeah it might help for a little while eventually but it ain't gonna do a thing in time to help the economy right now when we need it.

Based on mean United States Geological Survey estimates of oil potential in ANWR - 10.4 billion barrels* - and petroleum consumption for each state using the Energy Information Agency's 1999 figures, the U.S. Interior Department today calculated the number of years that ANWR oil would supply for each state:

Alabama 101
Alaska 235
Arizona 114
Arkansas 144
California 17
Colorado 132
Connecticut 132
Delaware 413
District of Columbia 1710
Florida 30
Georgia 54
Hawaii 278
Idaho 342
Illinois 42
Indiana 63
Iowa 126
Kansas 120
Kentucky 77
Louisiana 37
Maine 235
Maryland 98
Massachusetts 87
Michigan 50
Minnesota 85
Mississippi 117
Missouri 71
Montana 342
Nebraska 230
Nevada 255
New Hampshire 299
New Jersey 46
New Mexico 218
New York 35
North Carolina 59
North Dakota 460
Ohio 42
Oklahoma 111
Oregon 148
Pennsylvania 41
Rhode Island 570
South Carolina 120
South Dakota 479
Tennessee 79
Texas 9
Utah 218
Vermont 665
Virginia 66
Washington 66
West Virginia 260
Wisconsin 83
Wyoming 374

*10.4 billion barrels of oil is the mean volume USGS estimate for technically recoverable conventional oil in the 1002 Area of the ANWR, including federal lands, native-owned private lands and state-regulated waters.

The amount of oil in ANWR is a disputed and vague figure. Congress has only commissioned two surveys, one in 1984-5 and another in 1998. The first survey used two-dimensional (2D) seismic testing. This survey estimated ANWR contained between five and thirty billion barrels of recoverable oil (Murphey). Two-dimensional testing is much like an x-ray; depth is difficult to ascertain. Technology improved and three-dimensional (3D) testing, much like a CAT SCAN, was used in 1998 by the U.S. Geological Survey. This testing narrowed the reserve down to between 6 and 16 billion barrels of recoverable oil, with the mean at 10 billion (USGS). Even so, the extraordinarily high concentration of rocks and other debris make an accurate estimation nearly impossible. Even Boyd conceded before Congress that 3D seismic tests, "...cannot predict whether oil is actually present in the rocks. It can only show the distribution of rocks in the subsurface. Only drilling can find oil." Boyd also noted that the amount of recoverable oil was around 37% in ANWR due to the high concentration of rocks and debris mixed in the reserve compared to 60% at nearby Prudhoe Bay (Kenneth Boyd Testimony).

information released by the Energy Department concludes that ANWR production will max out at 876,000 barrels of oil a day in 2025. If ANWR is opened, it is estimated that 64% of oil consumed in the United States in 2025 will come from foreign sources, as opposed to 70% without ANWR oil ("Alaska oil").

TOP 10 REASONS TO SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT IN ANWR
1. Only 8% of ANWR Would Be Considered for Exploration Only the 1.5 million acre or 8% on the northern coast of ANWR is being considered for development. The remaining 17.5 million acres or 92% of ANWR will remain permanently closed to any kind of development. If oil is discovered, less than 2000 acres of the over 1.5 million acres of the Coastal Plain would be affected. That¹s less than half of one percent of ANWR that would be affected by production activity.

2. Revenues to the State and Federal Treasury Federal revenues would be enhanced by billions of dollars from bonus bids, lease rentals, royalties and taxes. Estimates on bonus bids for ANWR by the Office of Management and Budget and the Department of Interior for the first 5 years after Congressional approval are $4.2 billion.  Royalty and tax estimates for the life of the 10-02 fields were estimated by the Office of Management and Budget from  $152-237 billion.

3. Jobs To Be Created Between 250,000 and 735,000 ANWR jobs are estimated to be created by development of the Coastal Plain.

4. Economic Impact Between 1977 and 2004, North Slope oil field development and production activity contributed over $50 billion to the nations economy, directly impacting each state in the union.

5. America's Best Chance for a Major Discovery The Coastal Plain of ANWR is America's best possibility for the discovery of another giant "Prudhoe Bay-sized" oil and gas discovery in North America. U.S. Department of Interior estimates range from 9 to 16 billion barrels of recoverable oil.

6. North Slope Production in Decline The North Slope oil fields currently provide the U.S. with nearly 16% of it's domestic production and since 1988 this production has been on the decline. Peak production was reached in 1980 of two million barrels a day, but has been declining to a current level of 731,000 barrels a day.

7. Imported Oil Too Costly In 2007, the US imported an average of 60% of its oil and during certain months up to 64%. That equates to over $330 billion in oil imports. That's $37.75 million per hour gone out of our economy!  Factor in the cost to defend our imported oil, and the costs in jobs and industry sent abroad, the total would be nearly a trillion dollars.

8. No Negative Impact on Animals Oil and gas development and wildlife are successfully coexisting in Alaska 's arctic. For example, the Central Arctic Caribou Herd (CACH) which migrates through Prudhoe Bay has grown from 3000 animals to its current level of 32,000 animals. The arctic oil fields have very healthy brown bear, fox and bird populations equal to their surrounding areas.

9. Arctic Technology Advanced technology has greatly reduced the 'footprint" of arctic oil development. If Prudhoe Bay were built today, the footprint would be 1,526 acres, 64% smaller.

10. Alaskans Support More than 75% of Alaskans favor exploration and production in ANWR. The democratically elected Alaska State Legislatures, congressional delegations, and Governors elected over the past 25 years have unanimously supported opening the Coastal Plain of ANWR.  The Inupiat Eskimos who live in and near ANWR support onshore oil development on the Coastal Plain.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

frawin

Pam, that is a super good report and I agree with it. It is encouraging to see more people dig into the information and facts on the ENERGY CRISIS.The biggest item for everyone to keep in mind is that estimates from Geological studies are just that, estimates. I think OCS, offshore areas could provide some big reserves. Also the Shale Oil reserves in the Rockies are massive. In all of the areas mentioned, if we started right now it would be 10 years + or - before we could have the infrastructure in place to produce and transport the oil. There is already a big bottleneck in moving Rocky Mountain crude oil due to the lack of Pipeline capacity. It is no easy task building pipelines in the Rockies.  I still favor conservation, reducing our dependence of Petroleum Derivatives for energy, more research in alternate sources, Hydrogen Fission, Electric/Battery, and other possibilities. IN any case if we do nothing the situation is going to get worse, we are held hostage by Foreign governments, Iran, Venzuela, Libya and others and they will just keep tightening the noose. It is encoraging to see the current trend to smaller less energy consuming vehicles, that will also take years to phase out the gas guzzlers,  "America has 4.7% (+ or -) of the world population and we consume almost 25% of the worlds oil production. To be energy independent we have to reduce consumption by approximately 60% or increase production by approximately 60% or some combination of both. There will be lots of pain and inconvienence ahead but I still think American ingenuity and perseverance will come through.
Frank

pam

It would kinda be like puttin a bandaid on a amputation at this point. Using food for fuel isn't the answer either, especially since the floods have knocked out so much of the supply. We better hold on to ours butts cause the ride is fixin to get REAL bumpy. The Amish are the only smart people lol
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

frawin

Pam, I would much rather discuss this subject with you, rather than politics. It is more interesting to me and you are much more congenial and pleasant about it. Keep it up, I wish everyone would do some research on it like you have.
HAVE A GREAT DAY
Frank

pam

Lol, politics can turn even the most laid-back person into a ravin maniac, I try to be laid-back but there are a few things in this world I'm passionate about and my personal freedom and the environment are a couple of them. I also enjoy the free exchange of ideas tho and you can't exchange ideas with somebody you're mad at or who is mad at you lol.
William Butler Yeats

frawin

Pam, I don't get mad when discussing Politics and I am very broad-minded about it, as long as the othe side sees it the right way, MY WAY.LOL My concerns everyday are the future we are affecting for our Children and Grandchildren to live in and cope with, and I don't like what is happening and I don't like the direction the U.S. and the world is taking. Enough said.
Frank

pam

I did some research on the oil shale in colorado too and it's kinda the same proposition. They've kind of figured out how to get it without strip mining but water supplies are a problem because it takes several gallons of water to get a gallon of oil seperated and they haven't figured out how to contain the oil from leakin out into the ground water so that ain't gonna help anytime soon either.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

The Amish are being hit too.They use kerosene.

pam

yeah but I bet they'd do just fine without it Lol, heck of a lot better than most people will do without!
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk