How to save money these days

Started by Catwoman, June 26, 2008, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

OK, everybody...here's a thread dedicated to saving money!  I know there are some truly thrifty people out there...share your secrets and help others to better their circumstances.  Let's hear how you keep the fun in fundamentals!  My way to save money:  I use coupons at both Wal-Mart and Dillons...I use the 1.00 coupons at Wal-Mart and then use the lower value coupons at Dillons, since they double coupons above .50 to equal 1.00.  Also, I try to make sure that I am using coupons on items that are already on sale, so that I am maximizing the couponing advantage.  I only go to Aldi's once a month, because I have to drive some to get to one...that way, I am saving on gasoline, too.

Catwoman

OK, guys...go to Oprah.com and download Suzie Orman's free book, "Women and Money" for free for the next 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have downloaded it and am finding it to be fascinating.  You men out there, I would imagine that you would find this book helpful, too...it describes how the female mind looks at money.  I would suspect there are also some money tips in there that you all of the opposite sex could find useful, too.  Download away!!!!!!!

Teresa

Thank you ..I'll check into it.

I just naturally do things to save in some areas..and I have to admit. I'm not so good in other areas..  :-\

But I cook everything by scratch. I reuse lots of items ..and I buy a lot of my clothes from the goodwill..
of course, there is lots of my clothes that I don't buy second hand, and sometimes I throw away things that might be used for something..( I don't have the storage to keep everything though.  :-[
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

sixdogsmom

I know how you could save some money Teresa----grow your own hair!!  ;D ;D

I wear mine short all the time, don't like to fool with it. I guess if you need more hair, you need more hair!
Edie

Teresa

hahaha.. I DO have my own hair.
Mark just cut off about 8" a few weeks ago.
I was so tired of it long and I really like it short..
but...
when I do the 1800's thing..
I need hair that has bouncy curls , so I bought me a short hair with curls ..and long hair with curls..  ;D
Then you put that on ..and put your hat on ..and secure it with a hat pin and you are ready for another era..  ;)

pam

I save by cookin from scratch, garage sales, a garden, makin do and doin without lol
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without.

Old Amish saying.

Bonnie M.

I like "The Old Amish Saying," Wilma.

One thing we've always done to get the most from our food dollars, (learned from my Mother) is to fix casseroles, also, we love beans w/ham & cornbread, we eat lots of vegetable soup, (homemade, of course,) and we eat lots of leftovers.

Another thing that I've been fortunate enough to do is to keep working part time, for "extra" income.  I retired from full time work about 12 years ago, and I've been busy working part time ever since.  (I'm still working part time.)  So, that's our way of "keeping our head above water!"

But, I know the high price of gas and groceries is really making life difficult for young families, in making ends meet.  For those of us who grew up with the "Old Amish Saying" mentality, it must be somewhat easier.
Bonnie

Wilma

I save money by staying home, not eating out or ordering in, not buying on impulse.  I just wish there were something that could be done about insurance.  My health insurance is well over $200.00 a month, but I can't afford to be without it.  I am way ahead of the insurance company what with the surgeries and prescriptions I have had in the last 6 years.

Teresa

I like that saying Wilma. I'd never heard it before.

Insurance is horrible. If you are self employed it is really really bad. I was paying 289.00 a month, just for me.
It jumped last month to 302.00 a month.  And you really don't know exactly what you have until you need to use it. You think you do.. until you start getting all those different bills that you have to pay for 4 different people to read and  look at an x-ray..  ::)

(If you want to talk big business ripping people off..then insurance would be the subject title. )  >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk