Howard Getting Larger?

Started by W. Gray, June 21, 2008, 02:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Apparently, the city of Howard will be getting bigger.

Apparently the council is planning to annex land described as the east half of the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section one, township thirty south.

That cannot be much land and no mention in the newspaper as to why they want to do so.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Waldo, I am thinking that this will be the site of the new Assembly of God church.  It adjoins Howard on the south side next to the highway.  The best that I can see on my yellowed and torn copy of an ownership map of Elk County, that description fits that spot.

W. Gray

I wonder what the benefit would be of being in the city rather than staying in the county?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Mom70x7

Does that also include the school?

I remember a conversation someplace where the school wanted the speed limit on the highway lowered to 45 mph and the best way to do that was for the city to annex the school and lower it.

Wilma

If my dividing is right, it would consist of about 10 acres, which would be about right for the church without including the school.  Does that sound right?

W. Gray

I get lost when it gets lower than a quarter of a quarter section. ;D

It does not sound like a lot of land but I also recall the school wanting a 45 mph speed limit and being in the city limit would bring it about a lot quicker.

I guess that means the city limit is 65 mph in front of the school. That is no good.

Perhaps it is a narrow strip of land from the south city limit extending just long enough to get past the school.

The cities around here are famous for annexing land like that when all they want is the sales tax from the stores on that strip.

Speaking of land, it is surprising that a lot of big city people have never heard of a survey township and have never heard of a civic township.

flo

It has been some time back, but if memory serves me right at a city commission meeting it was said that the church had asked that land to be annexed.  something to do with water and sewer and city utilities.  It was mentioned at the time that if it was annexed, that would extend the 45 mph speed limit further south. And yes, that would be 10 ac. m/l
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

indygal

I confess that I'm just now learning to read rural directory maps (I think they're called plat books, but I could be wrong about that!) and it's no easy task for this older gal. I thought college algebra was tough.... if there isn't an address included with the legal description, I'm lost.

Do the city water/sewer and gas lines extend to the property being annexed? If so, I would think that's the most likely reason, and perhaps being under the town's fire protection code (which could mean lower insurance rates). I doubt it's about property taxes as churches are exempt. When we were in the process of buying Harmony, no one was quite sure what the property tax would be, since it had never been on the tax rolls.

Tobina+1

Actually, I believe the speed limit through town is 45 mph, and that the sign doesn't change going South until the Elk River bridge?  And remember, the speed limit is 55 going South from Howard (toward Moline).  The 65 speed limit is only going North from Howard to 400 on the new stretch of highway.

I think they should lower the speed limit through town to at least 35 or 30.  Too many people coming and going from the vet clinic (large trucks with trailers), Toots (lots of school kids), and P&J's (lots of business).

Lookatmeknow!!

I think you are right.  There have been many accidents at Toot's and also out of P & J's.  I used to work at Toot's many years ago, and remember alot of them. 

I am a member of the Flint Hills Assembly of God in Howard, and we are planning on building right behind pastor's house by the highway.  I can't wait.  It will be nice to get the funds and get started.  We are doing a pretty good job, but can always use some help. :angel:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk