Daughters of the Eastern Star?

Started by dnalexander, June 17, 2008, 07:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

I am trying to research information on an organization that my Mom belonged to for many years when I was a kid. I believe that it was called Daughters of the Eastern Star (not 100% sure of the name). I know my paternal grandfather was a 32nd degree Mason, but my dad was not a Mason. I don't know if my maternal grandfather was a Mason or not. What I am interested in is to know more about the Masonic Lodge and if anyone can help me determine if my mom was member of "Daughters of the Eastern Star" or maybe something that sounds similar. My mom is Mary Myrna Winn from Howard. Ks.

David

frawin

David, your Grandmother Winn was in Eastern Star and your Grandfather Winn was in both Eastern Star and was a Mason. I am pretty sure your Mother was in Eastern Star with Grandma Winn. Let me go through my files and I think I can give you that information.
Uncle Frank

dnalexander

Uncle Frank thanks for looking it up. I didn't ask you specifically because I am interested in finding people that knew my mom and can tell me about her days in Howard. I know you can do that, but you are her little brother and I am looking for non family members memories. I am also looking for information on the Masons from my dad's side of the family  because I know my Grandpa Walt Alexander was a Mason in Wichita. I am trying to expand family information specifically to my mom and to expand on the one that I did on my dad's side in grade school. Once I get to doing the family tree on my dad's side I will ask you for your expert advice on how to proceed. I have found many things on this forum about my mom that I never knew, such as she was on the school newspaper in her senior year. Also, more to my question than I am able to discuss here.

David

frawin

David, your Mother was also the High Stepping Drum Majorette for the good old Howard High Band her Junior and senior year, and she did a great job at it.

Wilma

David, what you are thinking of is called The Order of the Eastern Star.  It is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge.  I don't know if your mother was a member or not, but your Aunt Anita was.  I sat in chapter with her once before we had to close the one here in Howard.  Agnes Miller or Elwood Miller could probably tell you.

dnalexander

Uncle Frank thanks for the info. I knew she was a majorette, played basketball, and I think the trombone for a very short time.

Wilma, thanks for the information. I remember my mom and Aunt Anita talking about it together. Any information that you can point me to would be very helpful.

David

dnalexander

Wilma I do not know Agnes Miller or Elwood Miller any one that can put me in contact with them it would be great. If someone wants to contact me privately I can give them the info so that the Miller's could contact me. I would also be more than willing to spend my dime to contact them

David

frawin

David, I will be up there Saturday. I don't think Elwood can help you on this as I visited with him recently and I feel sure he will not remember that, in addition he is in the Nursing home. I will check with Agnes she was my 3rd grade teacher. I can check with someone that has some of the records. Also I will check with Aunt Shirley as she would know. I don't recommend you call Agnes she is 94 years old  and I am, not sure she would do well discussing it on the phone.

dnalexander

Uncle Frank, I understand what you are saying. I will send Aunt Shirley an e-mail.

David

frawin

David, she is in Colorado and will be for awhile, so she probably won't answer you until she gets back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk