Any tips for pet training?

Started by indygal, June 21, 2008, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

Our newest family member is Mini, a lab/daschund mix, who is almost five months old. Overall, she's a pretty sweet pup and hasn't developed too many bad habits. I'd just like to eliminate (or at least lessen) the ones she does have. I'm asking for any advice you can give. We did take her to an introductory training class, but she was about 10 weeks old at the time and too young for a choke collar, so we opted out. Only time will tell if that was the right choice.

First off, she's a jumper and a nipper. They're "happy" nips but they hurt nevertheless, and the jumping is annoying. She doesn't do either ALL the time, but just enough to be a nuisance. She does know the "sit" command and will accomodate about 90 percent of the time. She'll even sit and stay for a short time. I know she isn't stupid about the "down" and "no bites" commands, but she's not cooperating a lot of the time. Any suggestions?

Next, she loves to fetch and retrieve. Her favorite game in the world. She'll bring back anything I throw, but she won't turn it loose so you can throw it again. She parades around with it in her mouth, brings it to me, nudges me with it, acts like she wants to chase it again but refuses to unclamp her jaws to let it loose. Any ideas? How do hunters teach their retrievers to turn things loose?

Every now and then Mini will break free when we take her outdoors to her tie-out. She doesn't mind the tie-out and often will lie in the shade and happily gnaw on her chew bone for a few hours at a time. But there are times when, out of the blue, she'll make a mad dash down the street or into the neighbors' yards. What's the best way to break this habit?

I know there are a lot of web sites I could visit for this information, but I'd like to hear your ideas. It's been more than 20 years since I've had a puppy, and until February this was strictly a cat household. Cats: you just feed/water them, provide fresh litter and a sunny windowsill, and they're perfectly content. The only difference between a toddler and a puppy is one wears shoes and the other eats them.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Teresa

Kjell and I tape and watch every Dog Whisperer show that comes on. We have learned so much from these. We love them.

They show 2 a day and we have tons of them taped. In fact, there will be about 20 or so TVO'd when we get home.

If you can get this.. watch him. He is awesome and he shows how to correct every problem that you have..
It really will not be hard at all to break her of these small habits. And all of his ways are so gentle and they work!.

Good luck.
( Part of what she is doing is just being a puppy...but she still should be taught some manners *in a nice way of course*)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Mom70x7

Dog Whisperer is awesome, isn't it!  :laugh:

Catwoman

The woman who trains dogs on "It's Me or the Dog" is brilliant, too...channel 67, Cox cable (Animal Planet).  She utilizes a method of using sound to signal to the dog that it's not doing as it should, combined with behavior modification methods that are positive reinforcement-based.  I have learned a great deal from watching this female. 

Mom70x7

Haven't watched her - but we get Animal Planet, so I'll check her out.

indygal

I've heard the "Dog Whisperer" show has a lot of good tips; trouble is, we don't have cable/dish which means we watch no TV. (We rely on the 'net for keeping up with news and such, and frankly don't miss watching the tube.)

I was hoping forum folks would share personal-experience stories about pets they have/have had and training methods that worked for them.

Catwoman

The method that the Animal Planet trainer uses are:
(1)  When the dog is nipping, say "Ah-ah" in a quick, loud, abrasive manner...the unusual sound causes the dog to stop in it's tracks and pay attention to you.  I have tried this method myself and it really works.

(2)  When the dog is doing something correct, such as sitting when you want it to, give it a small bit of a treat and tell it that it's a good dog...when you are sitting on a couch or chair and dog starts to be rambunctious and start to nip, put it on the floor and refuse to hold it, combined with use of the loud vocal signal mentioned above.  After about 4-5 times of doing this, the dog begins to put together the fact that you are not going to coddle it when it's acting up.

(3)  There is a "fence" that you bury in your yard that transmits a signal to your dog's collar and keeps it in the yard...I believe it's called "Silent Fence".  I have seen this used and it is quite effective at preventing run-offs.

(4)  Concerning the chewing problem:  Utilize the method mentioned in item #1 along with making sure that there's nothing left out for the dog to get it's teeth into...a hard prospect, when you stop to consider how much a dog can get it's teeth into..spend a lot of time playing with the dog, using items that it's permissable for the dog to chew on and reward the dog for appropriate behaviors.  Use the loud voice signal when the dog begins to chew on inappropriate items.

From what I can see, it's the same with dogs as it is with young children.  What really matters is the consistency with which you approach training the dog...nothing is going to work if you do it one day and then leave it off the next.  And, that's just the problem, isn't it...it takes a lot of time to train a dog, both in terms of hours in the day and extended weeks overall.  It sounds like you really love the dog, which is the best place to start...I'm glad it sounds like the pooch has a good home!

Teresa

And also..the dog HAS TO HAVE ( and Dog Whisperer insists on this) daily exercise. He says that the dog has to have walking everyday, because the animal will get bored and that is when they become rambunctious and naughty. And also to not always walk the same route, not to let him have the run of the leash. YOU have to be pack leader and that is what the dog depends on.
Keep us updated...and I'm jealous. We both  want dogs so bad, but with our traveling schedule, it isn't possible.  :'(
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk