I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

I've found that certain times of the year are worse, too.  RIGHT NOW (late summer/fall) is BAD, and usually when I have the most trouble.  Also, early in the spring, if I remember right.
I grew up w/ gravel roads, too, and only had to change a flat once (when I hit a frozen rut going too fast... I was going to be late for curfew... at least then I had an excuse!).  But the roads and the gravel are entirely different in NW KS.  My parents would KILL for roads like ours!  Ha!  1/2 inch of rain, and my mom can't make it to town for 2 days without 4WD pickup!

pepelect

You might have grown up on gravel roads but not Elk County gravel.  We have some of the hardest rock in the nation.   This is why there are federal and state spec quarries on all sides of the county.  The rock is harder, sharper and more plentiful than is the high plains or swamp.    Flint already told you about the crappie rock crusher harshness makes gravel from is a  cheap layer of $7 a ton stuff.

Buy a bigger vehicle with larger tires that have more tread on the ground.  I ran, used to, run trashhauler recaps that are 14 ply tires, worked really well and have no problems with the rock. 

The faster you drive the less time you spend on the road.  Just put the petal on the right down a foot or two and you will get to your destination before the tires go flat.  Quit buying cheap tires.   I drive 90% of the roads in Elk County and rarely have a flat..... that Bill can't fix.   Besides tires are cheap.   What's a few hundred dollars compared to the hundreds of thousands that we spend each year graveling the ditches. 

Greenwood county spends more on tires than our entire gravel budget.  That would be like comparing a Yugo to a Freightliner.   Larger county, more population, better road crews, and they have their own sets of problems.  I have been on some pretty poor GW county roads. 

If the rancher is paying taxes just like any other land owner why should the road be closed so the trip to the cattle is four miles farther?  If you start closing roads you loose your federal and state cost share per mile of road.  Yes, it is stupid to spend so much time on untraveled roads but look how bad they can screw up the ones that are heavily traveled. 

I think the new management will either fix or at least identify the maintenance problem.  He has been on the job less than a month.  Give him a chance to screw up before waxing with broad strokes. 

srkruzich

Quote from: pepelect on September 22, 2008, 08:11:49 PM
You might have grown up on gravel roads but not Elk County gravel.  We have some of the hardest rock in the nation.   This is why there are federal and state spec quarries on all sides of the county.  The rock is harder, sharper and more plentiful than is the high plains or swamp.    Flint already told you about the crappie rock crusher harshness makes gravel from is a  cheap layer of $7 a ton stuff.

Buy a bigger vehicle with larger tires that have more tread on the ground.  I ran, used to, run trashhauler recaps that are 14 ply tires, worked really well and have no problems with the rock. 

Not everyone can go out and buy one tire much less a new vehicle.  Sorry but in the real world  most folks don't have that much money to spend on BRAND NEW TIRES to have them destroyed by cheap gravel the county bought.  put some decent gravel down with the tax money that we paid, and we won't have to buy 200 dollar tires. Whats a few hundred bucks?  Maybe nothing to you but its probably a 6 months supply of gasoline for my truck. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

Since you live in Greenwood county try driving the highway when you go to Howard.  I can't think why you are paying taxes in Elk County.

pepelect

My first set lasted 67045 miles.  That is about four and a half years.  They cost 210.  or the equilivant to 58.49 gallons of gas @3.49.  What kind, unless it is a broken down up on blocks kind, of truck can last 6 months on 58 gallons of gas?

Maybe I already spent that .0031 cents per mile on fuel to keep the speed up to mach 3.  

Haven't had a new truck in 8 years.  

I think that is why the big three are in such poor financial shape because I have not purchased a new toy.     I should do it for the global economy...

I sold my old worn out gas hog of a four cylinder '87 toyota and got a heck of a deal on a '97 big block chevy.  As I am getting older/fatter, I continuously need a larger and more spacious vehicle.   One that much more matches my ego.

The seats are pretty worn on the drivers side so I will just stuff the seat covers with $100 bills to make me taller as I drive up and down the road looking for hedge apples to grill for lunch.

srkruzich

Quote from: pepelect on September 22, 2008, 09:10:13 PM
My first set lasted 67045 miles.  That is about four and a half years.  They cost 210.  or the equilivant to 58.49 gallons of gas @3.49.  What kind, unless it is a broken down up on blocks kind, of truck can last 6 months on 58 gallons of gas?
LOL well tires ain't that cheap no more. 
Last tire i bought was over in eureka cause he had the best deal and it cost me 80 a tire.  But they don't make
anything more than 4 ply for a 14" wheel.
and my broken down ole truck has done me quite well thank you.  I don't go through 20 gallons of gas a month. Can't afford anymore. 
And its paid for and will run another 10 years. :)

QuoteHaven't had a new truck in 8 years.  
Shoot your truck is newer than mine!

QuoteI sold my old worn out gas hog of a four cylinder '87 toyota and got a heck of a deal on a '97 big block chevy.  As I am getting older/fatter, I continuously need a larger and more spacious vehicle.   One that much more matches my ego.

Still got my 89 s10   I'm older and getting fatter and still fit in my truck :)

QuoteThe seats are pretty worn on the drivers side so I will just stuff the seat covers with $100 bills to make me taller as I drive up and down the road looking for hedge apples to grill for lunch.
well if thats what it takes to hold ya up :) 

srkruzich

Quote from: greatguns on September 22, 2008, 09:04:14 PM
Since you live in Greenwood county try driving the highway when you go to Howard.  I can't think why you are paying taxes in Elk County.

Road work is funded by fuel taxes.  :)

pepelect

So buy more fuel so we have better roads.

greatguns

Greenwood County has better road crews, huh?  I'll do my very best to buy more fuel.  I'll even try to pay more at the pumps. ;) ;)

srkruzich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk