I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

When you have a monopoly what choices do you really have to offer?   You charge what the market will support for the quality that they can afford. Just like my wifey's favorite megabox.

Ask that question over in Bentonville.

Flintauqua

What happened to the quarry that was reopened two miles east on Busby Road, or was that just to rebuild K99 with?

pepelect

no market, no railroad tracks, cornejo doesn't like Black landlords I guess. 

Flintauqua

What does a portable crusher cost to purchase or rent.  Stockpile a bunch for the county from Blacks!

Tobina+1

Some interesting changes going on around Elk County...the county has been grading the roads the past week or so, and some interesting things are going on.  For instance, on Limestone Rd, West of town at the bridge 1/4 mile down the road, the graders graded down the ditch on both sides of the bridge.  They also did this at most of the culverts for about 3 miles on that road.  THEN... a day later, they came by and all the big chuncks of dirt and grass that they pulled from the ditch... they loaded up on trucks and took to the dump!  Wow!
Now, they only did this on one road I travel, and only for about 3 miles, but it's a good start!  I'm interested to see if this helps the roads the next time it rains and gets the water off the road, rather than sit in the middle of the road and makes big holes.  There are a lot more improvements that need to be made to the quality of the roads, yes.  But getting the water to flow off the road and starting to create ditches is a good start. 
I've heard some people complain about flat tires.  I, too, seem to have a lot of flat tires lately.  I'm to the point of asking my tire man about a volume discount.  But, when it's been so long since the ditches have been graded out, there's probably a lot of junk in them that will end up on the road.  Not sure there is any way to prevent this?  Maybe a big magnet attached to the bottom of the grader?   ;)  We should be cautious as to complaining about the work being done to the roads; it wasn't long ago we were complaining that NOTHING was being done!  They can't change the situation overnight, so we must be patient and stay positive about it. 

srkruzich

Quote from: Tobina on September 22, 2008, 02:23:22 PM

I've heard some people complain about flat tires.  I, too, seem to have a lot of flat tires lately.  I'm to the point of asking my tire man about a volume discount.  But, when it's been so long since the ditches have been graded out, there's probably a lot of junk in them that will end up on the road.  Not sure there is any way to prevent this?  Maybe a big magnet attached to the bottom of the grader?   ;)  We should be cautious as to complaining about the work being done to the roads; it wasn't long ago we were complaining that NOTHING was being done!  They can't change the situation overnight, so we must be patient and stay positive about it. 
You know tobina I can't afford more flat tires. I have spent over 130 dollars in tire repairs since may.  That's ridiculous.
I have one tire that i just bought and got flat and lanning told me he couldn't fix it.  I patched it myself and am
riding on a wing and prayer with it. I paid another 80 dollars for that tire.  We pay taxes in fuel purchase to buy this
gravel and to fix these roads with.  And the only time i get these flats is when they grade the ditch into the roads. 
its a tossup whether to put up with potholes or nails and spikes. At least with the potholes i don't get a flat.

The type of gravel their using is the main cause of flats though from what i understand. Their putting shale on the roads which splinter into sharp shards.  get some decent gravel and put on the roads is the solution. Why can greenwood co get decent gravel and elk can't???  I have ended up driving through piedmont to hyw then over to severy and down to howard to keep my tires inflated instead of going the direct route.  IF greenwood county can get decent gravel why can't elk?? 

they ought to be hauling off the dirt out of the ditches to wherever landfill that they need to raise up, and No dirt from the ditches going into the roads. They sure messed up rock road down there around 14 road.  I almost went into that cavern on the side one night after they did their ditching from the condition they left the road in and I drive slower than Mr. Ward.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Tobina+1

The gravel question has been discussed before, and that's a good question.  Hopefully one that the new road manager will address very soon.  I have noticed that they've stopped trying to "fix" the roads by just putting a load of gravel on them.  Like I said, I think there are some interesting changes in the road situation, and I hope to see them continue.  So far, it seems to me, the changes are positive (but I've only quoted about 5 miles of road in my small area of the county!).
One of the things that I think would help, is that they start closing some of the "low maintenace" roads.  Less for them to worry about.  They spent a whole day and who knows how many dollars repairing a bridge on Road 9 north of Limestone before it dead-ends.  There's about 2 people who drive on that road... when the creek isn't too high.  And they can just drive around and go in from Road 8 if they need to.  I know there are some people who live on these types of roads, but this 1 mile section isn't one of them.  The guys who have cattle on that road can use the back way to get in just fine.  There are other people who drive that road; but most of them are up to no good and just sight-seers when the water is high... and guess who's house they walk to when they get stuck?
I'm sure I can match your $130 dollars on getting tires fixed since May.  At $10-12 a pop, it adds up fast.  Damian and I get to catch up with each other weekly... in fact, I visited him just this morning!  On one of our vehicles, the dealership made the mistake of selling us an after-market 5 YEAR warranty for tire and wheel hazard... for only $400.  I've been through 7 tires in 2 years!  Hee, hee, they're kicking themselves now!

Lookatmeknow!!

Maybe it's the speed you drive???  I haven't had to many flat tires and I drive about 40 miles per hour or so.  They just graded my road last week, so I was worried about that.  Also, what type of tires??  I don't know to much about them, but I buy my tires at Lannings.  I drive a van.  Of course, we don't live as far out of town as we used to live.  But I do understand what you mean about the roads holding water.  Down the road from us, a little past Hubbells, the water gets really deep.  Sometimes I have to drive around on limestone to get home.  But where we live now is so much closer to town, plus the Y used to do the same thing when it rained.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

srkruzich

Quote from: angtown3 on September 22, 2008, 04:09:01 PM
Maybe it's the speed you drive???  I haven't had to many flat tires and I drive about 40 miles per hour or so.  They just graded my road last week, so I was worried about that.  Also, what type of tires??  I don't know to much about them, but I buy my tires at Lannings.  I drive a van.  Of course, we don't live as far out of town as we used to live.  But I do understand what you mean about the roads holding water.  Down the road from us, a little past Hubbells, the water gets really deep.  Sometimes I have to drive around on limestone to get home.  But where we live now is so much closer to town, plus the Y used to do the same thing when it rained.
I said i drive slower that Mr. Dean Ward.  :P

They don't make anything but 4ply for my s10 tires and now i'm having trouble getting them.  Their apparantlly stopping production of 14" tires.

srkruzich

Quote from: Tobina on September 22, 2008, 03:58:15 PM
The gravel question has been discussed before, and that's a good question.  Hopefully one that the new road manager will address very soon.  I have noticed that they've stopped trying to "fix" the roads by just putting a load of gravel on them.  Like I said, I think there are some interesting changes in the road situation, and I hope to see them continue.  So far, it seems to me, the changes are positive (but I've only quoted about 5 miles of road in my small area of the county!).
One of the things that I think would help, is that they start closing some of the "low maintenace" roads.  Less for them to worry about.  They spent a whole day and who knows how many dollars repairing a bridge on Road 9 north of Limestone before it dead-ends.  There's about 2 people who drive on that road... when the creek isn't too high.  And they can just drive around and go in from Road 8 if they need to.  I know there are some people who live on these types of roads, but this 1 mile section isn't one of them.  The guys who have cattle on that road can use the back way to get in just fine.  There are other people who drive that road; but most of them are up to no good and just sight-seers when the water is high... and guess who's house they walk to when they get stuck?
I'm sure I can match your $130 dollars on getting tires fixed since May.  At $10-12 a pop, it adds up fast.  Damian and I get to catch up with each other weekly... in fact, I visited him just this morning!  On one of our vehicles, the dealership made the mistake of selling us an after-market 5 YEAR warranty for tire and wheel hazard... for only $400.  I've been through 7 tires in 2 years!  Hee, hee, they're kicking themselves now!

Well it astonishes me how i have had more flats in the last year, than i have had in the entire 32 years i have been driving and that is no joke.  I grew up on gravel roads and never once had a flat from gravel.  So I know it can be done right, just have to get them to fix it right the first time and then maintain it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk