I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Good points Jerry, there is ONE way to avoid being caught speeding on video----just do not speed. Now I have certainly had my share of speeding tickets and mostly knew I was speeding when it happened, but did not try to weasle out of the ticket. Sometimes it was awfully hard though!  ;)
Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on October 02, 2008, 05:05:18 PM
Also, it is interesting that as a person interested in protecting the rights of others you will protect the rights of a speeder, who is caught on videotape speeding, however, would you defend someone's right to burn the flag as an expression of speech?
I don't believe anyone has the right to burn the flag.  Its not protected in the constitution.

QuoteWould you protect the right to choose?
Choose what, murder??  I would protect the right of the unborn to live over anyone elses rights. When the parents create that life, they give up their rights.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

dnalexander

Flag Burning

Finally, the Court addressed the highly emotional issue of flag burning.  In Texas vs Johnson, it reversed Gregory Johnson's conviction for burning an American flag during the 1984 Republican National Convention.  The Court concluded that the flag burning was "speech" and again determined that the flag desecration statute was aimed at the communicative impact of Johnson's message.  The Court noted, however, that speech-neutral laws, such as those applicable to public burning generally, might be constitutionally applied against flag burners.  The next term the Court again confronted the flag burning issue, this time to consider the constitutionality of the Federal Flag Protection Act of 1989, passed by a Congress unhappy with the Court's decision in Johnson.  The Court again ruled for the protester, a man who set fire to a flag on the steps of the U. S. Capitol, finding that the act was an attempt to suppress unpopular speech.  The Court's decisions in the flag burning cases has led to numerous attempts to pass a constitutional amendment authorizing punishment of flag burning and mutilation, but so far the proposed amendment has fallen short of the two-thirds support necessary in the Senate.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/flagburning.htm

TEXAS v. JOHNSON
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
491 U.S. 397
June 21, 1989, Decided

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/texasvjohnson.html

Just don't burn one in front of me if you know what is good for you.

David

srkruzich

Quote from: dnalexander on October 02, 2008, 05:37:29 PM

David

Thank You! :D  LOL  Same here.

indygal

Could we just reroute 99 down Washington and back up Adams? That way, passersby get to see our business district, but are not driving all the way down Wabash. Having lived about four blocks from Kellogg in Wichita the past seven years, I don't relish the idea of lving with "highway" traffic/noise. We came here for some peace and quiet, doggone it! LOL

DanCookson

Quote from: srkruzich on October 02, 2008, 06:01:36 PM

David

LOL, the guy would get off for flag burning and I would go to jail for assault and battery!!

srkruzich

Quote from: DanCookson on October 03, 2008, 08:33:36 AM
Quote from: srkruzich on October 02, 2008, 06:01:36 PM

David

LOL, the guy would get off for flag burning and I would go to jail for assault and battery!!
Back in north Georgia, they have a circuit judge that travels around to all the northern counties.
When folks come up in front of him for assault charges concerning beating the stuff out of a flag  burner, he
fines the person who assaults 1 dollar fine, and 1 dollar punative damages and gives 1 hour jail time.  :)
The reason he does the fines is to stop the "flag burner" from bringing civil suit.

jerry wagner

Sounds like a judge with no power to legislate from the bench, controlling the punishments to legislate from the bench.   ;)

dnalexander

Bad judge. Assault victim would win in a civil suit due to the criminal conviction. Still wrong to burn the flag.

David

greatguns

The last I knew burning the flag was the proper way to dispose of it.  Has that changed since I learned that in school?  It was a looooooooong time ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk