Is Obama's candidacy constitutional?

Started by Warph, June 11, 2008, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

I don't know that we have to be genial, necessarily, but I would much rather hear civilized discourse. The name calling and sensationalism that abounds surrounding the Presidential race is wearing thin and distracts us from the real issues. Below is an excerpt that explains it pretty well.

David

Civilized Discourse

"A democracy requires its citizens to think rather than simply to obey. All people in a free society benefit when discourse is civil, which means that it should be reasoned, fact-filled, literate, specific, and respectful of the moral standards of the majority. Let us think and speak clearly and with the best of intentions."

"One of the most commonly employed tactics in election campaigns and in the Culture War in general is name-calling. People and ideas are branded and dismissed summarily rather than being the target of reasoned argumentation. Yes, it's an ancient practice, long a staple of American politics. But venerable or not, name-calling is among the lowest substitutes for civilized discourse."

Thomas C. Reeves, Professor of History at University of Wisconsin--Parkside, and Senior Fellow, Wisconsin Policy Institute

Full text online at History News Network.

http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/4476.html

Warph

Very well stated, Pam..... especially that last sentence  ;)..... LOL
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

sixdogsmom

In response to the original subject of this thread go to truth or fiction. com and type in Obama birth certificate. This is in fact a fictional rumor designed to sully this candidate. Hawaii became a state in 1959; Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961. The site also gives a link to a copy of his birth certificate. This is as bad as the drubbing that John McCain received at the hands of GW in the N Carolina primary. Smear tactics, and so many people are so ready to believe the absolute worst about anyone.
Edie

Warph

Please re-read the article, SixDogsMom.  I think you'll find that WorldNetDaily is NOT smearing Obama, that they are wondering WHY he hasn't released his birth certificate, which had been requested numerous times by the media and thousands of bloggers.  This article came out on June 10th.  Obama released his birth certificate on his new site, "Fight The Fears" which was lauched June 12th.
Before placing the article on the forum, I checked with Snopes and Truth & Fiction and it wasn't on either site June 10th so it had to be entered on T.& F. June 12th. when Obama released his B.C. on his new site.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/birthcert

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/politics&id=6200951

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=66981
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

sixdogsmom

And the article you posted was based on untruths, period. It is all too easy to find bad things about a candidate instead of finding good things about your own. There are many undesirable things in McCains' past that I have not posted because I do not think it helpful. However I am going to tell you every time if you have a hole in your pants or your story. It is obvious that you are far right and biased to the max. You are way too intelligent to stoop to these kinds of things, and should be ashamed.
Edie

Warph

Really.... could you point them out to me?
--Warph

-- Warph

sixdogsmom

What the hole in your pants or the one in your story? Senator Obama was born in the state of Hawaii to an american born woman and a Kenyan born man. His mother was an american citizen, and the law you presented about age etc is bogus. The rest of the article is designed as a red herring to focus on Muslim, Africa, and etcetera ad nauseum. But what would you expect from a far right publication anyway? I do not see one thing good about the republican candidate from you or any other conservative. Whats' up with that? Or are you all hoping to resurrect Ron Paul?
Edie

Warph

LOL.... Now, now.... be nice.  I take it you're a democrat and you're for Obama.  I'm a republican.  That is a good enough reason not to discuss politics with each other. I'm not really in love with McCain but, I'm still a republican and that is the way I'll vote.  I felt their were more qualified  men in the republican party running for pesident but McCain beat them out for the top spot.  I'm not supportive of some of his issues but I think the party will steer him in the right direction.  We'll just have to wait and see on that one, won't we.  November is four months away and alot can happen in those four short months.
--Warph

-- Warph

momof 2boys

I am proud to say that I am a democrat.  Now does that mean I have always and will always vote democrat, No!  I will (and have)voted for the candidate that best represents my values and standards, as I hope all citizens do.  There is nothing that anyone can say to me to sway my beliefs.  I look up the information that I am wanting to know on my own.  I do not want others telling me how to think or that I am naive or stupid for gettting caught up in a person because he/she speaks eloquently.   

What do I find that is important to me?   My family, my country, the economy, and education!  All of these will factor into how I vote, not anything that some person or group says negatively of one of the candidates.  It is a person's instinct though to "smear" people that they don't believe in.  To find whatever unpleasing information that they can find and use it to their own benefit.  But how effective is that type of campaining.  For me, this doesn't shine brightly on their own values.  It makes me feel that they are  negative people.  I feel instead of beating down the candidate that you are not for, shine a light on the one you are for!

greatguns

Minnie, I so agree with you!  I needed that is this crazy election.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk