RE: Picked our first ripe Tomato Today

Started by frawin, June 11, 2008, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Well, I picked our first ripe Tomato today and this past Sunday I picked 6-8 Sweet Banana Peppers, Myrna splits the banana Peppers and fillis them with Pineapple Cream Cheese, what a tasty delight. We should have some big Green Peppers pretty Quick.
Frank

Wilma

Yeh, you're just trying to make us jealous because our gardens are still so wet we can't do anything with them.  My peas didn't survive.  Between the aphids and the winds they died.  I don't know which did the most damage.

Bonnie M.

Frank, when I read your post, I went out and checked on our tomatoes!  They're still green, and I don't think we're going to be having a big tomato crop this year.  It looks like the only safe tomatoes are the tomatoes we're going to be growing ourselves!

Jo, how are Fred's tomatoes coming along?
Bonnie

frawin

Wilma, we have had the same amount or more rain than you have, I raise my garden so it drains in rainy times.
Frank

Dale Smith

My peaches will be ready to be picked this weekend.  They have done remarkably well, considering how dry it has been here in Georgia.

Ole Granny

Okay, between Dale and Frank, I am almost tasting the tomatoes and peaches.  We always had fruit trees when I was growing up or my grandmother did.  We had peach, pear and cherry trees.  Grandma had everything including the apples.  I have too much shade to grow tomatoes early.  By July I may have a few.  Peppers I can grow.  I have quite a crop of Mint, Lemon Balm and Basil.  I, also, have garlic and chives.  What a meal.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Dale Smith

In general, my yard is way too shaded to grow much... and, I'm on a very steep hill.  But, I do have peaches, apples, and I grow lots of herbs.  :-)

frawin

I've got herbs too!  It is something I have always wanted to do, so decided this year I would give it a try!  I have basil, oregano, chives, mint, tarragon, parsley, lavender, sage and one or two others.  They seem to be doing great!  It is really fun to watch them.  I hope that I can find out how to dry them and enjoy them this winter too!  Alice/Dale, any help will be appreciated
mw

Devyn-Leann

I'm envious of all of you with your fruits and vegetables!!!

All but one of my tomato plants died. We planted them in mineral tubs and SOMEBODY forgot to put holes for drainage. Needless to say, they drown.

We do have a healthy crop of onions and green beans though. They should be ready any day now.

I have already "cut" some thyme and oregano. They're hanging in the dining room drying!

I, too, planted herbs this year. Lavender (for luck), cilantro, parsely, thyme, and oregano.

I just studied about it on the internet, I can't remember the site I used, but it taught me when to pick and how to dry it. I've hung some of it, and dried some in the dehydrater.

frawin

I wondered abou using the dehydrator.  I have two of them as I make a lot of jerky--that is I used to until I broke my wrist a year ago and can't slice it and trim it like I want it done.  I could ask Frank, but he has plenty to do.  He does help with slicing it sometimes.  I make a lot of it at Christmas time for the kids and grandkids.  It is always appreciated.
mw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk