Bush to Congress: Get Going on Domestic Oil Drilling

Started by Warph, June 10, 2008, 02:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Bush to Congress: Get Going on Domestic Oil Drilling
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
June 09, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - "The United States has an opportunity to help increase the supply of oil on the market," thereby easing gasoline prices for hard-working Americans," President Bush said on Monday.

He reminded Congress that he has proposed opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the Continental Shelf to domestic oil drilling -- something that would "help us through this difficult period."

Citing concerns about the environment, the Democrat-led Congress has so far refused to go along with domestic oil drilling.

"We remind our friends and allies overseas that we're all too dependent on hydrocarbons, and we must work to advance tech that help us become less dependent on hydrocarbons," Bush said on Monday as he headed out to Europe.

He said oil prices and "our nation's commitment to a strong dollar" are among the global issues he plans to discuss on a week-long visit to Europe.

The president is beginning his European trip in Solvenia, at an annual summit between the U.S. and European Union. He'll also visit Germany, Italy, France and Britain.

Press reports said Bush is expected to press America's European allies to boost their support for the war in Afghanistan -- as well as put more pressure on Iran to discourage its nuclear ambitions. The talks also will touch on humanitarian aid, the world food crisis, climate change and economic integration of both sides of the Atlantic.

Bush will meet with European leaders again next month, at the G-8 summit in Japan.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Lookatmeknow!!

I don't think we will see to many of the congress man and women agreeing to this.  Do people in congress get cars furnished for them by their state or the govenment????
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

W. Gray

Congressmen and women have access to a huge carpool with vehicles out of that carpool used for official business only.

Federal funds purchase the vehicles and gasoline.

They are supposed to use their own vehicle or own ways to get to and from work, on pleasure trips, on vacations, etc.

I suspect there is much abuse with little, if any, oversight.

The same abuse applies to the DoD fleet of airplanes that is available to Congress members.

I suspect the more senior one is in Congress, the more he/she can get away with pushing the envelope on automobile use rules.

I have never heard of a state contributing monetary support to their two senators and various representatives.

Domestic drilling is almost always split along party lines with Republicans for and Democrats against with a few exceptions on both sides.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

The State of Alaska and it's Government are not pushing the ANWR drilling as most all, if not all of the lands involved are Federal and not State Royalty. It would lower the price of oil and the revenue that Alaska gets for the State royalties on most of the current Alaskan production.
Frank

Lookatmeknow!!

Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

frawin

It is my hope that the Government will Mandate conservation before we bring on lots of oil and lower the price again. If oil were to go back to $30.00 a barrel the American people would go right back to 8 and 10 cylinder vehicles and Hummers that get 6-7MPG.
Frank

flo

and those of us that have 6 and 8 cyl. vehicles now, paid for,  will be able to drive them more than 1 day a week and if we must drive them back and forth to work, will have some of the paycheck left to buy groceries and other frivilous things.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

W. Gray

Gas prices today in Alaska range from 4.11 to 6.04.

The 4.11 is in Fairbanks which is in the interior close to Yukon Territory.

The 6.04 is in Bethel which is close to the west shore about 500 miles from Fairbanks.

There were no prices posted for Juneau--the only state capital that is landlocked. Only way in is by air or sea.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Those Alaskan prices were for regular.

Not much reporting on premium.

Diesel was running 6.38 in Bethel.

pam

the median income in alaska is also over 50000 dollars and they have no state taxes of any kind. the prices for gas are higher on both coasts but there again median incomes are way higher than they are here. makes a wee bit of difference when you're lookin at prices here versus there
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk