School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Can someone provide facts as follows:

1.  Total number of students enrolled and attending school in the district.
2.  Number of students enrolled in the district broken down by grade assignment (K-12).

Thanks in advance
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Mom70x7

Quoteusing the high school to house the fifth and sixth grade students will take care of the problem

There's no space there. We squeezed a small 6th grade into one classroom last year.  If last year's 6th grade class had been large, there would not have been space for them. We already have teachers doubling up on classrooms.

sixdogsmom

The highschool/Jr highschool currently has 125 students, right? In 1992 there were almost 500 students, has the building shrunk? Apparently it is not being utilised properly. A classroom designed for 30 students does not have to be designated for a class of eight or nine. Of course there are teachers doubling up on classrooms, as this is not a large enough school to designate one classroom as being for one instructor. Even my college courses used a classroom for multiple subjects, instructors, and students. The student body enrollment of 345 students in West Elk school district  should be ably housed in two of the three brick and mortar buildings that we already own.
Edie

Sarah

Quote from: gina on November 06, 2009, 07:45:09 PM
How do you know if they are filled to capacity?  Have you been to the high school to see teachers cart their materials from one location to another?  Have you been to the grade schools to see the children crammed in the classroom?  Just curious.

I don't understand how, if the school population is shrinking, how they could be so crammed up?  How in the world did they fit them all in when the school population was more?  Were there more buildings at one time than just the ones that exist now?

Mom70x7

QuoteA classroom designed for 30 students does not have to be designated for a class of eight or nine.

But the math room is still the math room, whether there are 25 in the class, as in the past, or 15.
The science lab is still the science lab. Instead of 20 students, there are 10.
Etc.

Unless you're suggesting they teach math at one end of the room and science lab at the other end?
English in one end of the room and art in the other end of the same room?

Yes, the population has shrunk. The classes sizes have shrunk, not the need for the individual subject classrooms.

momof 2boys

The high school has an art room for art, photography, yearbook, etc.  It is used all hours.  There is a woods room used for various classes throughout the day.  There is the vo-ag area used throughout the day.  One gymnasium used throughout the day.  The Jr. high uses all rooms on its side of the building for science, english, social studies, math, resource room.  No empty rooms.  The high school side uses all of the rooms on its side of the buidling for general science classes, biology, chemistry, general math, algebra, trig, calc, english freshman through senior classes, social studies, world history, government, computer programming classes, and we now have Spanish and business classes back at West Elk.  The band room is used throughout the day both by jr. high and high school band, vocal, etc.  I just don't see where you think we can put anyone else.  All of the rooms are utilized throughout the day.

pepelect

Quote from: sixdogsmom on November 06, 2009, 08:27:44 PM
The highschool/Jr highschool currently has 125 students, right? In 1992 there were almost 500 students, has the building shrunk? Apparently it is not being utilised properly. A classroom designed for 30 students does not have to be designated for a class of eight or nine. Of course there are teachers doubling up on classrooms, as this is not a large enough school to designate one classroom as being for one instructor. Even my college courses used a classroom for multiple subjects, instructors, and students. The student body enrollment of 345 students in West Elk school district  should be ably housed in two of the three brick and mortar buildings that we already own.
Where are you getting these bogus numbers.  If there was 500 students in 1992 we would have had a class of 83 students. I don't remember 49 fellow classmates leaving. 
There are 6 class grade levels that attend school in the junior high/high school.  We don't have the ability to split the rooms in half with out creating a fire hazard.   We have never graduated 83 kids per year from West Elk High School.  I doubt if it was rarely over 50.  I know for a fact that in 1987 there was only 34 graduates.  Please explain this to me 'cause I don't get it.    This is not accurate.  And you know it.

momof 2boys

Oops, I forgot the resource room on the high school side as well as the home economics room.  Both used throughout the day. 
Just because there are less students, doesn't mean we can cut the subject matter that the students have to have to graduate.  West Elk offers all of the core subjects and we are lucky to have a few teachers that can offer some advanced classes as well as college prep classes.

The class of 1988 had 32 graduates.

perkinscreekranch

The class of 1986 had 36.

It is sooo very hard for this to be a positive conversation.  Here's something positive, maybe motivational, to sleep on:

"Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for fewer problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom."- Earl Shoaf

pepelect

Quote from: Patriot on November 06, 2009, 07:49:21 PM
Can someone provide facts as follows:

1.  Total number of students enrolled and attending school in the district.
2.  Number of students enrolled in the district broken down by grade assignment (K-12).

Thanks in advance
I could provide this very quickly at the tip of my tongue but it would require more than my allotment of words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk