School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

QuoteIf they get a new building, whats to stop them from saying ohh we can't afford to fix the roof cause football or band or any of the NON essential programs for a education might be cut.

If you want to raise a student's intellect, study skills and grades, one of the easiest ways to do so is to involve them in music.

http://www.amc-music.com/musicmaking/play@school/grades.htm which says "Music and Grades - Music won't rot your mind. In fact, it's good for you. And studying music may help you to learn other subjects better and get better grades in all your courses."

http://www.winknews.com/features/education/36198994.html which says "New research links music to increased brain power."

http://www.howcast.com/videos/115266-How-To-Raise-Your-Kids-Grades which says "Step 5: Play classical music - Turn on some classical music while they do homework. In one study, people who took tests in rooms with Mozart playing scored higher than those who took their exams in silence."

Now, back to the topic:

I think there has been no major mismanagement of money. I don't remember the report, but sometime within the last couple of years, our district was lauded for how well they managed money.

perkinscreekranch

Quote from: srkruzich on October 23, 2009, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 23, 2009, 11:29:24 AM
Doesn't the roof need to be repaired regardless? A fund drive for roof repair?
LOL you would think so.  I'm still not comprehending anyone allowing the schools to go to hell to begin with. 

The school buildings have not gone to hell.  The high school is now 30+ years old. What building of that age does not need some maintenance?  The elementary buildings have had large amounts of money spent on them for upkeep and maintenance.

greatguns

Angie, don't you think saying you will not bus your children at all is a little cold considering you are asking everyone else in the district to do just that.

pepelect

I think there is a difference in busing the entire district as we have done for the last thirty years and busing the entire district to another district because of a closed system.

sixdogsmom

And where may I ask is the guarantee that this district will not be combined with another? There is none and you know it. We are very subject to being absorbed into another district when enrollment drops. That is the truth and you know it.
Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 23, 2009, 06:53:27 PM
And where may I ask is the guarantee that this district will not be combined with another? There is none and you know it. We are very subject to being absorbed into another district when enrollment drops. That is the truth and you know it.
If that happens you still get stuck with multimillion dollar loan to pay.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: perkinscreekranch on October 23, 2009, 02:49:27 PM
Quote from: srkruzich on October 23, 2009, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 23, 2009, 11:29:24 AM
Doesn't the roof need to be repaired regardless? A fund drive for roof repair?
LOL you would think so.  I'm still not comprehending anyone allowing the schools to go to hell to begin with. 

The school buildings have not gone to hell.  The high school is now 30+ years old. What building of that age does not need some maintenance?  The elementary buildings have had large amounts of money spent on them for upkeep and maintenance.

I think someone said that maintenance went out the door because they had to choose between programs or maintenance. 

srkruzich

Quote from: Mom70x7 on October 23, 2009, 02:34:40 PM
QuoteIf they get a new building, whats to stop them from saying ohh we can't afford to fix the roof cause football or band or any of the NON essential programs for a education might be cut.

If you want to raise a student's intellect, study skills and grades, one of the easiest ways to do so is to involve them in music.

http://www.amc-music.com/musicmaking/play@school/grades.htm which says "Music and Grades - Music won't rot your mind. In fact, it's good for you. And studying music may help you to learn other subjects better and get better grades in all your courses."

http://www.winknews.com/features/education/36198994.html which says "New research links music to increased brain power."

http://www.howcast.com/videos/115266-How-To-Raise-Your-Kids-Grades which says "Step 5: Play classical music - Turn on some classical music while they do homework. In one study, people who took tests in rooms with Mozart playing scored higher than those who took their exams in silence."

Now, back to the topic:

I think there has been no major mismanagement of money. I don't remember the report, but sometime within the last couple of years, our district was lauded for how well they managed money.

But you don't sacrifice the maintenance of a school to pay for it. 

pepelect

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 23, 2009, 06:53:27 PM

zzzzz  If you want a guarantee then buy a toaster.   Life only gives us two guarantees death and taxes.  That is the truth and I know it.  We are no more subject to being absorbed today than we were yesterday.  We will not be a better candidate tomorrow with a new building. 

Where may I ask is the guarantee that the state won't bypass Moline with highway 160?  Where is the guarantee that the rail service through the county won't stop tomorrow?  Where is the guarantee that fuel won't go to $6 a gallon. 

We can not save enough money by keeping things the same.  I know it would be easier but that is what cards we are dealt.  WE will come out of this process a much stronger school system with the full backing of the community.   You just have to choose if you are part of the solution or not.
Quote from: Sarah on October 23, 2009, 12:18:54 PM
you know the other thing that hasn't been mentioned is how their going to fix the mismanagement of money.   If they get a new building, whats to stop them from saying ohh we can't afford to fix the roof cause football or band or any of the NON essential programs for a education might be cut. 

There is no they... There is a WE.  We have the ability to fix problems that come up.  We have the knowledge to inform and the wisdom to listen while being informed. We are not locked into one ridge plan that has no flexibility.  We will get it done.   because WE BELIEVE>

Sarah

OK, something I want to know, just how much are they thinking this is going to raise property tax per year? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk