School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

Quote from: Marcia Moore on January 22, 2010, 09:26:42 PM
     Why spend money unnecessarily on modulars with "hopes" the state might pay the district back someday?  Times are tough now for everyone.  We do not need our taxes raised.  Lets make do with what we already have.  I realize that sooner or later both Moline and Severy will lose their schools.  But if we could just wait it out a little bit - two or three years or so - maybe with the dwindling enrollment the current building at Howard will then hold all the students.  Sure there would need to be a lot of adjustments made to the current building, but at least the patrons would not be faced with a huge tax increase. 
It costs less to provide and maintain utilities to a building made in this century.  What tax increases are you talking about?  Nothing has been done to change the current taxes since last summer when we had to raise the LOB to the max. The voters told the district they were not willing to finance a bond for a new structure so there is no increase in tax caused by the installation of classrooms.  We can't lower the LOB untill we become more efficient by curbing expenses not capitol outlay.  It is wiser use of the funds to make the entire district viable for a long period of time than to prop up a single building inside that district. 

I don't get the math.  If you close one school you save $250,000.  If you close the other school you save $250,000. We need to cut over $400,000.   Where is the other $150,000 - $250,000 coming from? 
Using capitol funds to pay salaries sounds like a very stupid proposal.  Spend your savings now so you are forced to do no fund warrants in the future.  Lower the wages of the teachers from the lowest in the area to what poverty? RIF only works where there is a force to reduce. 

What if we just leased the classrooms needed?  It would not tie up capitol funds for years and years.  It would cost twice as much in the long run but then we have to think in the now.

sixdogsmom

Okay, now I know that a bond issue for a new school cannot be done until the LOB has been maxed out. Guess what----- The In Crown saw to it that the LOB got maxed out right away; ipsoso facto, bond issue people! No hearings from the communities involved, just a few meetings of The In Crowd going through the motions. Phooey! This mess stunk from the beginning and it still stinks!
Edie

pepelect

Quote from: sixdogsmom on January 23, 2010, 04:28:05 PM
Okay, now I know that a bond issue for a new school cannot be done until the LOB has been maxed out. Guess what----- The In Crown saw to it that the LOB got maxed out right away; ipsoso facto, bond issue people! No hearings from the communities involved, just a few meetings of The In Crowd going through the motions. Phooey! This mess stunk from the beginning and it still stinks!
Who is in the "The In Crowd"?  The LOB was maxed out because the school board budget didn't have enough money to keep both the grade schools open and pay the bills with out it.  The local part of the budget is about 21%.  So the state controls the 79% that has been shrinking for the decade.  Compound that problem  with the decline in enrollment that has not been address by lowering the budget.  We have been wasting money keeping two facilities open that has led us to have to close them now. 
The situation stinks because the previous three school boards knew the student numbers were dwindling but failed to do anything about it when we had other financial options to curb it.  There has been meetings in all three communities since we started this process.  All communities were represented in all aspects of the bond and any facilities discussions.  Every meeting and discussion has been posted and open for the public to attend and be a part of the discussion.  There was a public hearing about the closing of the buildings only 10 people spoke. The meeting was scheduled for 2 hours but was completed in 45 minutes with no one with out the opportunity to speak. 

mayflower

Also, Capital Outlay can not be spent "legally" for salaries

patyrn

I have taught a self-contained elementary classroom in a modular/portable, and guess what?  We all got used to it, the kids learned and were very successful scholastically, and life was good!  Learning can take place wherever the right instruction is offered.  Kids are so much more flexible than we give them credit for.  I hope the adult population of this district will put their differences aside and consider what is the most important factor in this issue--the education and future success of each child in the USD 282 school system!!!

Lookatmeknow!!

Patryn you said it!!  But that is not the case.  Just because you live in Howard doesn't mean that you want to see the schools close.  But I truly believe that is in the best interest of the kids and also the staff.  Yes some will lose jobs, but chances are that they might get rehired for the district doing a different position.  Because Para Educators are always coming and going. 

This isn't something that just happened over night.  It has been happening for some time now.  The budget just isn't the same that we used to have.  Plus, its a cut from state.  If you don't know it now, Kansas just doesn't have the money.

Plus, I would think that it would be worse if they picked one school over the other.  They had people in from out of district, to give us help on which one to close and there were positives and negatives to both schools.  And also no real conclusion.  I think that they are doing the best posible to keep the cuts from the students.  And as a parent in this district, I am glad for that!!

My children are doing really well in both schools.  I have 2 in one and 1 in another.  They have adapted to the change just fine.  Probably better then I did at first.  So, its got to be done.  Just wish people would see the big picture, not the negative part.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Rudy Taylor

Obviously, modulars should always be considered a temporary measure. But our kids attended classes in modulars in Caney and loved them. They actually thought they were special kids because they enjoyed outdoor classrooms.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Teresa

I was talking to Ashley ( age eight)  last week about the school etc...
I ask if she liked being in Severy this year and she loves it.. She is an excellent student and makes good grades.. I then brought up the subject "How do you feel about not being in Severy school next year.."

She replied all bright and chipper" I'll be going to Howard  next year Mee -Ma.. We'll be in a lot of little trailers cause I think they have to close our schools down.. But it will be ok.. I think it will be fun..and cozy.. "

hahaha ha...so I think that the kids will respond well to whatever changes has to be made and implemented as long as the "Parents" keep the topic on a positive level around them..

* Parents + Positive...being the key words here* :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

mayflower

You got it Teresa!  Kids usually look for the positive.......unless they have heard the negative at home.  I think they look forward to "new" things.

Rudy Taylor

;D

Teresa, you make good sense when you're back in Elk County.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk