School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

See why it is such a big IF, Tobina?  Rural water is available in that area, city sewer would not be as the Moline sewer treatment is on the other side of a small creek.  Gas could probably be run to the location, don't know anything about it.  I don't THINK it is in city limits.  Maybe the small creek wouldn't preclude the sewer option.

And my ballot is in the mail box to be picked up today.

Diane Amberg

Can I get an absentee ballot please? I can use my old family's address on Limestone road.Ya think I could get away with it?  :D

W. Gray

ACORN will help you through the entire process.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Wilma

Probably too late to apply now since it has to be in by end of voting Tuesday.  But you could try.

momof 2boys

It has never been suggested that three new schools be built.  The discussion for the future has been that the district can no longer support the two grade schools that are of poor quality, and very costly to maintain.  Because of the cost that must go into constantly repairing these buildings, there has been little left over to upgrade the high school building.    Patrick is correct in that taxes will rise just to do yearly repairs to either of the grade school buildings.  Issues are constantly popping up with regards to cost of utilities, problems with the roof, water pipes, mold, etc. 

The school board is looking for options of a new grade school, set in a central location, that is cost effective for the community.  More of the community needs to attend these board meetings so that they can see first hand the issues that this district is facing and how it will pay off in the long run.  The are not looking to spend an excessive amount of money to build a grade school, they believe it could be done without maxing out LOB and could bring the LOB down faster than if we continue on the path we are currently pursuing. 

Joanna

I think that the sarcasm in a post was overlooked.  You'll need to add smiley faces or something greatguns, or maybe it's more fun for you this way!  ;D

pepelect

The existing high school has about 68,324sq ft.  The grade school addition we are talking about will add less than 30,000sq ft.  of classrooms.  15000 more if a new gym/safer room is built with FEMA grant moneys.

If we don't even change the way the grade schools are right now we are going to have many projects in the near future at the high school.  There is a need for more class rooms for the addition of physics, foreign language, and the new programs added.  More access to computers/media lab is needed.  The roof has to be inspected every year for damage and minimal repairs.  The gym needs to be air conditioned to be a year round venue especially during hot graduations.  There is very inefficient heating in the voag and wood shops.  The Radiant tube heaters need updating.  The pvc main water lines need replaced.  More ventilation for the voag welding area is needed.  More electrical outlets are need though out the entire school.  WE needs a CCTV security system for the safety and monitoring of the school both inside and out.  Gym lighting with daylight compensation would save many dollars.  The computer network is very antiquated. The outside fascia of the building is in need of repair rust and 30 years of wear. 

What do the tax paying citizens of the district get for their 25 year commitment?  Happier more well rounded superior educated students.  Fewer but happier teachers.  A school to be proud of.  Programs that challenge students to do more than just get their GED.   More college prep courses.  More vo tech focused education.  More post secondary classes offered.  More efficiency through out the entire district.  Less money wasted.

Diane Amberg

We'll come build it for ya for $100.00 per square foot.  ;)

Catwoman

Quote from: greatguns on April 03, 2009, 05:19:30 AM
Maybe you should build three new buildings.   Grade school, middle school, and a new high school, then you wouldn't need any repair or maintenance.  Of course they must be in Howard so the children can get a much better education.  I'm so impressed that there isn't any repair or maintenance done at the High School.
LOL...Yes, I've always been impressed by that, too! :o :o  But, seriously, I'm glad that Patrick is indeed running for BOE...I'm sure he'll get elected.  Then, he can raise a few waves, play devil's advocate and get West Elk America pointed in the right direction.  Sure wish I still lived there...You'd have my vote, PEP! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk