School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momof 2boys

Some other student issues will be absenteeism will go up dramatically.  Let's not forget that our children nowadays must take state mandated tests that must be passed to keep our schools accreditted.  From what I hear we have done well on these tests in the pasts, but could long bus rides and absenteeism affect these scores? 

As far as teacher burn out.  I have talked to a few teachers and they said they felt they could handle combined classrooms quite effectively.  But they were not asked their opinion on how this matter could best be handled.   Let's remember these teachers are professionals and they do their job for the love of children not the $.

Lookatmeknow!!

I just have to ask how you know this.  The reason that I ask, I was wondering, the the teachers sake, Mrs. Mercle just transferred back to Moline.  I think that it would be unfair to make her switch back now.  The price of gas and all.  Who is assigning the teachers to which grades?  Do the teachers get a say in this???  Not only is all of this somewhat unfair to parents and children but also to the teachers.  Do you know the work that it takes to move all of your stuff from room to room what about building to building.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

DanCookson

Quote from: Mom70x7 on June 11, 2008, 08:57:01 AM
I was at the school board meeting when this decision was made. The discussions were private, but the vote was public and it was not unanimous.

They will save money on the teachers - instead of two teachers for each grade, most grades will only have one, I think.

I doubt if the busing is much different from what it already is. They will just be more full.

From my experience, most all of the discussions are "private" at the board meetings.  For the life of me, I do not know what spending 2 hours of a 2.5 hour meeting in "Executive Session" accomplishes.  If you got something to say and someone to say it about, get some balls and say it.  Don't lock the doors and make decisions.  It is called an "open meeting".

I agree with everyone that we are in quite a predicament. 

I also agree wholeheartedly with Minnie in the fact that this will cost more money than it will ever save.  You are going to lose kids and that is a fact.  Anyone who doesn't think so is kidding themselves. 
You are going to spend more money on transportation.

There are no easy fixes, but it would have been nice for the board to put together a committee or something to gather some community sentiment and maybe brainstorm some options before making such a decision.

momof 2boys

That is so true Dan.  I feel that this was just sprung on the community and we didn't have an opportunity to discuss this with our elected board members.  Yes, there was a forum over two years ago, but I don't remember this being something they discussed then.  Even if it had, we still should have had the chance to visit with our board before they voted. 

Lookatmeknow!!

I am just guessing that the board didn't think they had time.  I know that the teachers that they lost from Severy, 2 of them told the board in May and one told the board in June.  But you are so very right, they should have given the community a chance to have input on this issue.  They could have held a special meeting to vote on this after the community forum.  Why, if we are not saving, are they doing this then???  I know that neither Severy or Moline want to lose their schools, but come on either close one down or build a central location.  Would Moline be big enough for all the elementary???
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

momof 2boys

Ask our board members talk to them.   That is what I have done.  The few that I have talked to said that they didn't realize that it would upset so many people and that we could lose as many students.  I know the members I talked to have had  a lot of calls from parents and there is even a petition in Moline.

flo

take all the students to Moline and upset Severy.  Take all the students to Severy and upset Moline.  The only solution is a "central" elementary building and then everyone will hollar we have two elementary schools, what we going to do with them.  If Moline and Severy were to lose their schools, they lose their town and there's not a lot left of either.  It is a "no-win" situation.  The busing of the youngest children will be the biggest concern, I'm thinking.  I fully agree, community and parent input should have been a "big" part of this decision.  The school board members are elected so that all the district has equal representation.  Why were parents not made aware of this before hand and have a chance to let their "elected" board representive know their feelings so that their "elected" board representative could convey these feelings to the board as a whole?  Perhaps they did and were voted down.  Perhaps they let the public know and we didn't pay attention.  I never heard anything about this till I heard it in the beauty shop at Moline on Tuesday and the decision was already made.  Can the school board rescind their decision and go another route? well, I reckon they "can" but "will" they knowing now the feelings of the parents?  Guess we'll wait for chapter 2.   
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

sixdogsmom

We could take out West Elk, move the high school to Moline, move the Junior High to Severy and put the gradeschool in Howard.
Edie

greatguns

Angie you're right, it works so well having two grades with one teacher in bigger schools.  And it was Latham Grade School where I attended classses that were operated that way.  We did have 8 kids in our class. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Teresa

minnie.. I know you are smack dab in the middle of all this. being a teacher PLUS having 2 boys in school really affects you. As it does with all the parents who have young children.
And you are right.. It is wayyy too long for them to be on a bus.. Too early to start and too late getting home.
They are worn clean out by the end of the day and kids still need time to play and be kids.
School at this young age shouldn't be an all day- plus exhaustive day for them.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk