School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Is Mr. Moore resigning or retiring?  I heard he has been planning on retiring, so I don't think this was a surprise at the meeting.
I hope that everyone still realizes that this is only a quick fix "band aid", and that the entire community should still be looking towards the future of our schools and start moving forward on a more permanent decision.

DanCookson

I would have to agree with Tobina.

This will give the board, citizens, and administration time to look at all the alternatives without being under such a strict time-table.   

The resignation/retirement of the current superintendent will also undoubtedly bring in someone with fresh ideas and a new starting point.  My hope is that the superintendent-to-be will be a community focused individual that is up to the challenges that face our district!

pam

This is kinda out of left field but is Mr. Ireland still the principal at the high school?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

heather_tyler_2014

no he retired this year and thier is a knew prin. starting sometime not sure of the name
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

Mom70x7

Corey Reese is the name of the principal at the High School / Junior High.

Before the motion was made about the elementary school changes, Marty Taliaferro, board president said basically the same things Dan and Tobina did - that we have to look to the future and make some serious, long-range planning. Make some decisions and set some goals for the entire district.

Lookatmeknow!!

I attended both the forum and the board meeting.  It was a very rough and tough decision.  I don't want to be on the board.  I am just thinking practical for now!!  You are right, it is a band-aid.  We have a tough road ahead.  I have also been thinking about this long and hard.  If the board would get a the community facts and figures for the things that they propose, I have no problem supporting their decisions.  This new pilot, just saves us the bus issue.  Not really any more or less money.  Dan, you are right, maybe just maybe the new super will bring new ideas to the table.  But, and this is just my thinking, we need to maybe include the board and  the teachers on the ideas.  It was a very interesting meeting last night, I would say more interesting than the forum.  Because the board seemed to have listened to some of the ideas that were put before them.  But I hope that everyone understands that we, the communities need to think about the School as a whole.  I worry about each town, too.  But we need to save face, that is West Elk School Districts, not each town.  I don't want to lose any of the schools, but it is time to face the facts.  And the facts are that we can no longer financially support each of the schools.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

momof 2boys

I attended the board meeting last night, and I must say that it was a very emotional meeting in that there were some very tough issues that were faced and discusses.  The board, as well as others, agonized over what was the best option to pursue at this time.  I do believe the best option was chosen.  However, the West Elk Communities need to come together and put our district first and foremost.  The board has tried for a VERY long time to keep all schools going, and this little fix is only a very short term solution.  The time has come that this can no longer be productive for our district and in fact has become a major disability to our district.  All of the monies that must be used to operate these three facilities have been exhausted.  There is nothing left and in fact money has to be found to keep the three campuses going.  This directly effects all other aspects such as teacher salaries ( which in turn effects the ability to hire new teachers), resources needed in classrooms, programs that can be offered to our students, arts & music programs, as well as many other issues.  I would love to see this district turn around and prosper and the only way is through all West Elk communities uniting to save the distrist not just a single building. 

Catwoman

So, when does the current Supt. leave?  Is he here for the rest of this year or did he resign effectively immediately?

Rudy Taylor

I just talked with Bert Moore and his resignation was actually a "retirement" announcement, effect June 2009. So, he will be here for the coming school year.

Having said that, he made it clear that the decision to revisit the pilot project at last night's board meeting had a lot of do with his decision to make the announcement. I'll have some of his comments in tomorrow's Flint Hills Express.

Rudy

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Catwoman

Thanks so much, Mr. Taylor...being out of the loop like I am, I really appreciate hearing the straight skinny from you! :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk