RE: Picked our first ripe Tomato Today

Started by frawin, June 11, 2008, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Granny

Mint, parsley, chive, basil, tarragon, I winter some of it over in the house.  Have to keep it cool and the basil is really sad by spring but can use it most of the winter fresh.  Fresh is best, of course.  Parsley I dry in the microwave on two paper plates and cover with one.  Thirty seconds, then 15 seconds intervals until it is dry.  Let cool.  Store.  I have always just hang the mint, basil, lemon balm and tarragon to dry..  The more you pick the basil and lemon balm the more it grows.  Lemon balm is good in salad dressing.  Actually, lemon balm is good almost everywhere.  Chicken, fish, drinks, dried for tea, paste for insect bites. Lemon balm, mint and Basil in salads or spring rolls.  The lemon balm and mint smell wonderful.  Just a sniff of lemon balm will pick up your spirits.  I do have some oregano and lavendar.  Also, I winter a Cuban or Tropical Oregano which is good in salads, italian dishes and lovely to look at.  Anything I can do to help-ask.  Mint and Basil can be rooted in water before it gets too woody. I would think a dehydrator would work.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. ---and may need to ask some more questions.
mlw

Tobina+1

Devyn; mine will still be a while, but I'm up to about 7-8 tomato plants so you can come help me eat them!  You won't have to fight them away from Chuck; he won't touch the things.  I can taste it now... sliced tomatoes from my garden, fresh green beans from yours, and fried eggplant from Joanna!  We'll feast like kings!
Actually, Joanna, you're off the hook if you want to be... I did try my hand and planted 2 eggplant plants this year.  So maybe I'll have my own crop!

Devyn-Leann

I've got green beans in the freezer from last year!! The things come up like crazy!!

I got out my Crazy About Herbs book and am looking through it for info on drying, and preserving. I'll post it under a new topic!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk