The US Marine in Afganistan.....

Started by Teresa, June 09, 2008, 03:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

I agree Teresa. maybe he heard his grandpa talkin about buyin bonds, who knows?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

flo

I don't think the point is if this letter is "real" or not, the point is the message that it conveys and there's not a doubt in my mind that the conditions our soldiers are living in every day is just like this and that the job they are doing is for you and you and you and me.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

I gotta say, I agree Ma. In the big picture it doesn't matter if it was written by a "real" soldier or somebody writin what they figure a real soldier would say, if it was written 3 days ago or 50 or 60 years ago. From what I'v been told it sounds like a pretty right on depiction of the conditions soldiers are facin now and have faced in every war that was ever fought. So widen your minds people, sometimes you just gotta get the message instead of pickin apart the messenger.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

sixdogsmom

If admiring the truth makes me narrow minded then I am guilty as charged. I know there are many heroic stories every day from soldiers and their families on both fronts as well as the home front. There is a reason there is a place in the library for fiction and a place for non-fiction. Fiction has its' place in our lives as it allows for free expression of art, ideologies, and the exploration of ourselves. However it should never be presented as truth, for that would sully the real heroes. As a girl, reading those comics about the soldier, I knew that it was fiction, that it was based on not truth but the glorification of war. That war is in fact is not mostly heroism, but back breaking heartbreaking every day grunt work with little glory is a real soldiers' story. Think again, the truth might just set you free!
Edie

pam

oh geez, all I meant was as a general rule most of us can't see the forest for the trees. I saw nothin glorifyin in a guy talkin about gettin bit on the ass by scorpions and fightin people who are stuck in the dark ages, which is where the taliban is stuck. War is blood and dying and savagery. Screw it, never mind
William Butler Yeats

Teresa

I am kinda in a way sorta adopting and working with a 29 yr old Marine who has been gone for 4 years and is now home. He is going through horrendous nightmares and can't sleep. He has told me things that make me cry for what he and his comrades ( our freedom fighters) had to endure and battle every single day.
That letter is "mild"........................... so whether  the "bible of snopes" ( and they are not always right, even though people think they are the almighty) says it is an actual letter written or not.. .........I can tell you that we better get on our knees every single day and send prayers and  strength to our brave men and women in this war.

sixdogsmom

We need to get our men and women out of this war!  :'( :'(
Edie

Teresa

This is to all the men and women who are fighting for the United States If America..

pam

William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk