Fire in Eureka

Started by greatguns, June 05, 2008, 07:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

Eureka sure had a bad day to have buildings on main street to burn.

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ole Granny

5:00 P.M. news only said downtown Eureka.  Busy with the weather. 

Can anyone tell what it is?
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Ole Granny

One more from Kake news.  All were from Kake online.
Eskimo Legend

patyrn

Does anyone have any details about the fire in downtown Eureka today?  I just talked with my sister in Wichita, and she had heard a report on the evening news but had few details.

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Mom70x7

Is that white building in the middle the Eureka Herald offices?

Joanna

The fire started in the white building, which was behind (east) of the old Barkman Jeweler's on the corner.  I believe it used to be a beauty shop years ago.  My mom said that the fire went south to the furniture store (where the old Bill's Dollar Store used to be),but that it stopped before it got to Hunnington's auction house.  The picture of the white building is facing west toward Main street on 2nd.  The picture of the street scene is facing North on Main at the corner of 1st (where the feed store is on the right, but is not in the photo).  The fire would be on the right, but since it is closer to the alley, you can't see it from that photo.

The Eureka Herald offices are on 2nd street, but they are West of Main and on the other side of the street from the fire.

Wilma

Thank you, Joanna, much better than the report we got on the channel 12 news.  They never mentioned the names of the businesses or even which side of the street they were on.

Ole Granny

Now see- I knew someone would know.  Thanks.
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk