Standing Tall

Started by Teresa, May 31, 2008, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

This INCREDIBLE picture was taken in 1918. 

It is 18,000 men preparing for war in a training camp at Camp Dodge in  Iowa . EIGHTEEN THOUSAND MEN!!!!!

What a priceless gift from our grandfathers...

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Roma Jean Turner

Thanks for sharing this, what a neat idea.

Ole Granny

What pride they must have felt!  Thanks for sharing it with us.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Teresa

I wonder who had to figure out how many men to have stand in the certain areas to make the figure of the statue?
That would have been a challenge.

sixdogsmom

It would have been easy for a computer, but no computers. Probably with math, just like all the sciences.
Edie

W. Gray

At first, I took issue with the picture saying 18,000 men.

There are 17 men in the first four rows, or so.

At that rate it would take 1,058 rows to use up 18,000 men. There does not look like that many rows, but
maybe perspective played a role in some of those far off rows.

Then I wondered how they could get 18,000 men to march to the template--They surely had to march to maintain discipline,
file off from each platoon and find a mark--each man surely was on a mark,
and stand for the photo--without at least several hundred having to go to the bathroom, er, latrine.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

My thoughts exactly! But a nifty photo none the less.

Teresa

The video site shown below is awesome.  You won't regret taking a few minutes out of your day to view it and perhaps even send it on.  It takes a few moments to load so be patient -

You may have heard the song before but this video is new. In the beginning, he goes into a pawn shop to pawn a flag... The pawnbroker is in his sixties, and over his shoulder you see a photo of a young Vietnam era warrant officer with aviator wings and the MOH.

Yes, that's really a  Medal of honor winner--not an actor.

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/videos/view/id/706270

Bonnie M.

Teresa, that was so good!  Thanks for sharing it.  "Freedom isn't free!"
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk