Barn Swallows

Started by Tobina+1, May 29, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

OK, I need help.  Me and the barn swallows have been going round and round over where they've decided to build their nests for a couple weeks now.  I've knocked down the beginnings of nests on almost every window of the house.  I was told that they are "protected" (thanks Kate), so let's just say that BB's are out (plus, I'm more concerned with breaking a window, and they don't land long enough on the fence to get the gun pumped in time).  I heard that bug spray is a deterrent, but not having much luck with that option either.

ANY IDEAS or SUGGESTIONS??????

Jo McDonald

When we lived where Dan and Teri Cookson now live - we had barn swallows that built their "home" over the window on the east bedroom.   We enjoyed watching them raise their little ones until we carpeted the porch floor - then it was eviction time for the birdies.  I took aluminum foil and covered the top of the window ledge, and when they would appear (and if I saw them) I shooed them away and that worked, but had to do it every year for two or three years, but it was worth the effort.  I had read that was the way to discourage them.  Hope it works for you.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Diane Amberg

Around here people use spike boards and "Tangle Foot" to keep pigeons away. Would that work for you?

W. Gray

Here is a discussion site on barn swallows:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070618093916AADCjTJ

We are battling woodpeckers.

We solved the problem by positioning two ladies hand held mirrors in the window where he lands. It took some rearranging to get it right so he would see himself when he landed--and be spooked. The state extension center provided that remedy.

The damage is being repaired today and hopefully he will not be back.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Tobina+1

Hmmm.  We have pretty tall windows, and not sure I want to attach anything to the house.  Guess I'll just keep spraying the nests down with the garden hose!  Maybe I'll try a different type of bug spray, too.  I can't remember if it was wasp spray or bug spray that was recommended.

W. Gray

We use hair spray on wasps but not sure how that would have any affect on swallows unless it pollutes the nest.

Someone also recommended something called Hotfoot.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Good luck with whatever solution you use.  My mother tried to discourage the swallows from building under the roof of her front porch and they won.  They covered the front part of her house with mud, like they were just throwing the mud at the house.

Diane Amberg

I'll just have to invent a tall piece of fence with artificial eves and sills on it for the birds to use. I'll come out there and peddle them to you all and make millions!

Teresa

Have you tried mixing a heavy mixture of cayenne pepper in a prayer and spraying the nests and window sills?

I sprinkle cayenne pepper all around the outside baseboard and house and I NEVER have ants.
I used to have an ant problem but no more since I started using that.

You might try it Tobina.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

::) a prayer? That could help, I guess, with or without the cayenne pepper.  ;D couldn't resist that, sorry.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk