Memorial Day ceremony at Gracelawn Cemetery

Started by Janet Harrington, May 30, 2006, 08:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Yours truly played Taps at the Gracelawn Cemetery on Memorial Day.  Every year the Carter-Rader American Legion Post #149 puts on the ceremony to honor our deceased veterans.  Flags are placed all over the cemetery, on tall poles, giving those who visit the cemetery a sight that puts a gasp in your breath and your heart in your throat.  I hope that you were one of the many people who attended the ceremony and if you didn't, maybe you could come next year.  The ceremony is always on the Monday that the nation recognizes the veterans and starts at 10:30.  I am going to place a picture on this topic if I can make it work.  Sometimes my pictures are too big and I have problems with them.  Hope you enjoy.

Janet Harrington

I'm going to add one more picture.  This was taken facing north from the unknown soldiers monument.  This kind of gives you an idea how beautiful these flags are when they are flying.

Mom70x7

Thanks for the pictures.

For several years, we've helped put them up. It's something I think everyone should see. The flags are truly awesome!

Teresa

Oh my~~ You did an outstanding job Janet, of posting the pictures..
THANK YOU!  :)
The cemetary was beautiful.. and I have heard you play Taps..
You always do a wonderful job..
Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

jensarlou

Sure do miss Howard.  They don't do anything that nice down here in Jacksonville.  And the little town I live in doesn't even have a active Legion.  What a shame.  The picture bring back fond memories.  Thanks Janet.
Andrea

Janet Harrington

I can't believe that your town doesn't have a Legion.  Is there one close by that you could attend?  Are you still a member here?

jensarlou

The nearest one would probably be in Jacksonville.  Yes I am still a member there in Howard.  I actually spoke with Gleneva the other day to make sure she had the correct address for renewal time.  I am going to keep my membership there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk