Post number, name of post, town
Post #23, E.M. Stanton, Howard
Post #26, Rawlins, Elk Falls
Post #91, Mulligan, Longton
Post #110, E.O.C. Ord, Moline
Post #217, Roanoke, Oak Valley
Post #289 Appomattox, Grenola

From Cutler's History of the State of Kansas:
In Elk Falls, the Grand Army of the Republic became established in February, 1882, and H. Welty was elected Commander, F. A. Stoddard, Adjutant. The society contains fifty members, and hold meetings in Barber's Hall on the first Thursday of each month.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

For several years my wife and I have helped put the small flags and the cedar branch with a poppy tied to it on all of the Veterans graves at Gracelawn cemetery and there are G.A.R markers on some of the old graves.
Frank

Ole Granny

Quote from: frawin on May 19, 2008, 02:45:21 PM
Ole, Old Granny, were you in those parades.
Frank

Actually, I was!  These photos were just a little before my time.  Not much but some. :D :D :D  I remember decorating my bike or maybe tricycle and riding in the parade with my brothers.  It was the happening time!

As Old Ole Granny is remembering ??? ???  I would guess the Karnival did not happen much after 1950.  Could be wrong. :-\ :-\
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

sixdogsmom

I heard tonight that 1949 was the cut off, but that was a guess. That must have been lots of fun for you children! I always get a big kick out of the children in the Crazy Days Parade.
Edie

Ole Granny

1949 could be correct.  Yes, it was really fun.  Wondered why it stopped.  Suppose it was a lot of work getting it going.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

W. Gray

Does anyone know what the Confederate equivalent of G.A.R. might have been?

On another note,
I recall seeing old films of hundreds of former Confederate and Union soldiers walking/marching, many in uniform, (some were riding, though) together in the streets of Gettysburg, Pa, celebrating the battle of Gettysburg, which occurred over a three day period in 1863.

The regular army apparently set up large tents and facilities on the old battlefield to accommodate them.

This get together took place every so many years and ended around 1933, or so.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

W. It was the U.C.V.    United Confederate Veterans. Don't ask me why I remembered that. Maybe from a trip to Gettysburg battle field.

W. Gray

Thanks, learn something new everyday.

Looked it up and it went out in 1951.

There is a successor organization to both the G.A.R. and U.C.V. called Sons of Union Veterans and Sons of Confederate Veterans that are still in existence.

When looking at the old films of the old Confederate and Union veterans encamped at Gettysburg, smiling, waving at each other, etc., I have wondered "What do they really think about each other."

During the genealogical craze, I discovered my great great Grandfather Gray fought for the south. Gave me a weird feeling at first but then, hey, he is my grandfather.

frawin

Waldo, I knew your Grandfather pretty well and my guess he would have fought for the South as well.
Frank

W. Gray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk