The Constitution

Started by W. Gray, May 21, 2008, 08:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

When I was working, about every five years or so, we were provided with a pocket copy of the U.S. Constitution.

Some folks carried theirs around religiously but I kept mine in my desk and ever so often would read various parts that were mentioned in the newspaper or elsewhere.

One day I started reading Article VI.

Article VI consists of three paragraphs and begins:

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

I initially thought well that is nice that they took care of Jefferson Davis and company. Then I wondered how the framers would know about Robert E. Lee, etc. Then I somewhat sheepishly realized the situation.

The first government of the new United States was confederate—i.e., the constitution was called the Articles of Confederation. This is the same government that brought forth seven men as President of the United States before George Washington became the eighth—or the first under the present constitution. The first seven were members of Congress and were ceremonial heads much as a mayor is. That first constitution had only judicial and congressional branches.

The Articles of Confederation came along in 1781. Written in 1777, it took the states four years to approve. Six years later, work began on a new constitution.

Prior to the Articles of Confederation the country operated under the First Continental Congress in 1774 and under the Second Continental Congress from 1875 until the Articles of Confederation were approved in 1781.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

Unfortunately government and history classes a a bit wasted on folks in high school. Too bad we didn't all pay more attention.  ;) ;)
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk